Financial Advice required for Owner of Limited Liability Companyr

Options
Hello,
We would like some sound financial planning advice please.
We would like to invest/ some money each month for my future self and partner.
We am own a Limited Liability company and would like to optimise the amount of money i can take out without incurring prohibitive tax bills.
The company employs both myself and my partner and is our sole income.There are funds in the company at the moment.
We do not have a pension or any savings currently.
I am 44, my partner 37 *cough*
ISA's, pension, shares, bonds, etc - we are game for whatever is the best option.
We have done a risk questionnaire - I am a high risk taker - my partner is the opposite.
Thankyou

Comments

• LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you also both directors of the company? If so, the company can pay up to £40,000 pa into a pension for each of you. you don't get tax back from HMRC, but the company would save on its corporation tax. Have you asked your accountant what would be most efficient?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    jusnbek wrote: »
    We would like some sound financial planning advice please.

You'll get ideas and opinions here, but not sound financial planning advice. Nobody can give you that without knowing full details of your situation. Sounds like one for an IFA - could be an excellent investment and save some expensive mistakes.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • jusnbek
    Options
    OK thanks - are there any recommendations for good IFA's?
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OK thanks - are there any recommendations for good IFA's?
    Where are you based? I might know someone in your area.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • jusnbek
    Options
    In Lancashire near Preston
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In Lancashire near Preston
    I can suggest someone in Leeds if you like?
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 November 2019 at 10:59PM
    Options
    Very generally....

Typical remuneration for company directors/shareholders of own company is to pay themselves sufficient salary to qualify for NI credit but without paying NI. Also to use personal tax free allowance. For most this is just below the NI primary threshold (currently £719 per month).

Pension rules allow you to pay up to the max of your earned income (or £40k, whichever is the greater) into a pension and receive tax relief. This apples whether or not you have paid income tax on the earned income.

So, if each of you takes (say) £715p.m. in salary then you will not pay NI or income tax, will each qualify for a full year NI credit toward state pension, and will be able to claim tax relief at 20% on the full £715p.m. if you then pay it into a pension. This increases the pension contribution by 25%.

The salary can also be offset against corporation tax thus saving another 19%.

The balance of remuneration is usually sourced from dividends (again, for tax reasons).

Additional pension contributions may be paid directly from your company account into the pension. These will count as 'employer's contributions' and, as has been said, can be offset against corporation tax but will not reduce your personal income tax liability. Nor will they be eligible for a tax uplift.

The above may not be optimum for your circumstances so the advice of an accountant and IFA should be considered.

Always ensure that you have an emergency cash fund of around 6 months expenses before making other savings/investments. This is your insurance against the unforeseen. After that, pensions are by far the best investment wrapper tax-wise, and especially for small limited company owners. Any investments held outside a pension should be ISA-wrapped as much as possible. Cash is currently best left unwrapped in order to receive the best retail interest rates. Income, dividend and savings tax allowances are all relevant to your circumstances and it will be to your advantage to understand them, and know how they relate to your situation.
  • jusnbek
    Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    I can suggest someone in Leeds if you like?

Sure, ill talk to them - thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport