MSE Poll: How do you access your bank most often?

Poll started 24 September 2019
Bank branches are closing and the digital revolution is taking over – not just online, but now with a host of app-based banks too. We wanted to find out how you access your bank and whether it depends on your age. Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No surprises so far, young people are tech savvy and spend too much time at work to go to a branch. Older people retire to the country and have to be tech savvy because the branch is so far away.., and getting further!
  • What you need to take into account is that those of us over 65 are at home for a lot of the day, so have less need of mobile banking - which is why we use a desktop - it's time related rather than age related.
  • I used to use the mobile banking app from my bank (RBS). However, it no longer works with the version of Android on my phone. So, it is OK for the banks to close branches to save money, stating that everyone is using their app, but it is not OK for their customers to try to save money by not replacing their fully functional phones simply because they don't run the latest Android O/S. Bunch of 'merchant bankers'.
    RaspberryFool
    Men are from Mars, Women are from ... Cadburys!
  • We need to keep bank branch networks. In our local Santander branch, I have seen the lovely way the staff interact with disabled clients, who would not be able to manage technological banking solutions. Furthermore, I can understand the convenience of banking apps, but, if there is an issue with my account, I want to be able to discuss it face to face with a real person. There are many warnings about the phone scams where people have been conned into handing over bank details, because of an alleged problem with their account. The default advice seems to be hang up the phone and then call your bank. How much better to be able to just tell the caller you are going to go straight to your branch to sort it, and not get into discussions on the phone. Once, when my husband had an interaction with his bank, he received a how-was-for-you phone call the following day. The trouble was, they asked for his security details, which he refused to do as they had contacted him, and then went into his branch to check if it was legitimate. Apparently, it had been, but the cashier quite understood why he had refused to give the details and admitted he had acted correctly.
  • I am a Co-op banker and unfortunately they have closed all the branches in Bristol apart from one in the centre of the city. This makes it very difficult if not impossible for many people to get there to use it. I am lucky that I have always used computers so don't have any difficulties using the online website. However I know that many older people of my age find it difficult to use technology and many of them don't have computers available to them. I personally don't use the mobile banking app as I am not convinced of its security and if your phone is lost or stolen too much info is on your phone. I think that the banks should take more care of their customers and set up some sort of tech unit to teach/instruct customers who need the assistance to manage their accounts. Just closing branches and saying use the post office is not good customer service.
    2989 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 November 2019 at 12:47PM
    My local town in Worcestershire has an elderly population. We used to have 5 banks, we are now down to 1 and 1/2 - If you can call it that. Of the 5 banks we DID have, we now have only 1.5. Our TSB is only open 2 days a week and our Lloyds has one window open, so looooong waits - Yet Lloyds have a person out front trying to get you to use the hole in the wall. 9/10 are saying NO.
    When are the Banks going to realise that Not everyone wants to or can use the New Technology.

A few years ago, the queue was so long I ended up using the Hole in the wall to deposit my money. as my car park was running out. I am signed up for online banking and I kept checking my account and I was not credited for the cash £300.... I had to keep calling the bank, checking the account, etc.. After over a MONTH the bank pulled out the Hole in the wall and it had wedged it's self in between the machine and the wall. I spent WEEEEEEEKs trying to sort it all out. I lost interest on my money. NEVER AGAIN. :mad:
    I prefer the Face to face customer service. (Do you Businesses remember what that is ???)

Loads of houses are being built in the area, yet the infastructure is not there. Banks want us to drive 10 miles down the road, pay for parking just to do banking. That's 20 miles round trip in Time and petrol (For those of us who drive - If you need to take a Bus it's ALL DAY. Have you tried bus service in rural Worcestershire ???)
    BANKS ARE YOU LISTENING ??????? Do you even care??
  • PaulSh
    PaulSh Posts: 21 Forumite
    XRAT wrote: »
    No surprises so far, young people are tech savvy
    Speaking as someone who has spent decades developing mobile software, I can confidently say that people using banking apps are by and large NOT truly tech savvy because if they were they would realise the risks they are taking.

The issue is not so much the apps themselves but their phones, many of which do not receive regular critical security updates from the manufacturers.
  • Website for me. I think the only times I've ever been into a branch this century is on the rare occasions I need to pay in cash or a cheque.

I don't use banking apps as EVERY app I've ever tried for either banking or online retail is inferior to the same company's desktop website in terms of functionality.
  • It is only possible to pay in money at a Post Office or Bank Branch. But I maintain the accounts online. It should have been possible to specify more than one category
  • I’m over 65 but although mostly I use a browser for banking I also use the banks app but generally just to see if anyone got their hands in my pocket.

Another thing with my bank if I want to give one of my grand-kids a few bob for say a meal when there caught short out and about, that transaction has to be set up on the PC version first but once done you can transfer money at anytime with the app.

So truth is I use both but PC browser more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure