DIHS Did I Have Serps company

Options
Dear Sir/Madam,

I’m a little worried because a company called “Did I Have Serps” has contacted me about claiming for being out/in of Serps, and I’ve stupidly already given my full name(s) all address’ and my NI. I only stopped when she wanted me to e-sign a form she just texted and emailed me whilst on the phone ; I said no I’ll check it all out then sign, hence my calling out to you for help first.

Please help!
Every blessings, Susan

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2019 at 7:35PM
    Options
    Claiming what ? I believe less than 1% of SERPS related claims have been successful simply because there is no complaint and nothing to claim. Just another scam company looking to move your contracted out fund to something they manage. Hopefully nothing will happen, not a lot you can do now except be vigilant for anything untoward happening. In future please do not enter into any kind of dialogue with these scamming cold calling companies.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m a little worried because a company called “Did I Have Serps” has contacted me about claiming for being out/in of Serps,

There are still dodgy companies doing this?

most CMCs gave up after the regulator found a minuscule potential 1% failure rate. The regulator also published a guide which effectively said that if you were under the age of 45 when you contracted out then its unlikely you were missold.

The FOS reject virtually every single case of missold SERPs that they see. And it is the least complained about area of any financial classification and has the lowest complaint uphold rate.

The only CMCs that I know doing it pass you data on to linked companies to sell you pension transfers which earn them around 5% of your pension pot. That is where they make their money.

Following the 2015 state pension changes, those that contracted out using a personal pension are often big winners.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2019 at 10:41PM
    Options
    Don't sign, this approach means that you're dealing with an unethical company.

SERPS is the earnings-related part of the old state pension system. The other part is the basic state pension, which adds a fixed amount for each year paying in or getting credits, like from child benefit. It's never been possible to contract out of the basic state pension part, just the earnings-related bit.

There were two ways to contract out:

1. most workplace defined benefit pensions contracted the employees out and took on responsibility for paying the earnings-related part themselves. Defined benefit usually means the final or average salary type. There's minimal chance that being in such a scheme was wrong. Better still, following the state pension changes in 2016 someone in this type could end up adding more state pension when someone not contracted out can't because they are already entitled to more than the new cap. This can result in those contracted out effectively being paid twice and further increases the very positive situation.

2. into a personal pension. HMRC would pay a partial NI rebate into it each year. Under the old rules this typically was a good move. As with type 1, the 2016 pension changes mean that many will get both the maximum new state pension and the contracted out pot, while those who didn't just get the state part. That makes it an even better deal than it was originally.

If you want to tell us more about your pension history and state pension forecast we should be able to tell you if there's anything worth doing to improve your position.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Watch out for follow up scamming phone calls, having given that info away to a cold caller* you will now be down on a mugs list.

* any cold call on your pension = scammer. How did they get your number ? Have you been putting your details down somewhere?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As with type 1, the 2016 pension changes mean that many will get both the maximum new state pension and the contracted out pot, while those who didn't just get the state part.
    I think that someone earning enough to qualify for SERPS and who never contracted out , is still entitled to a state pension above the normal maximum . It is sometime since I tried to understand the rules as it was not very clear and the way of calculating it was complicated , but this is what I remember . I think it was a concession for people in this position and if you think about it would be otherwise unfair to those who never contracted out or for only a short period.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Albermarle wrote: »
    I think that someone earning enough to qualify for SERPS and who never contracted out , is still entitled to a state pension above the normal maximum
    You're right but from 2016 such a person ceased to accrue any more state pension, while a contracted out person below the cap still does. The degree of double payment depends on the exact work history. It'll be greatest for someone who was always contracted out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure