PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Steps towards zero waste - 2019

Options

Comments

• dollypeeps
    dollypeeps Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought 3 beeswax covers for £7.77 from fleabay Catbells - they're 20cm x 20cm and I have used them loads in mt fridge to cover food in bowls etc - it's a bit weird initially as you cannot see what's in the bowl BUT they seal brilliantly and are easy to clean.

I may get a larger one but this size seems to be working for what I would have previously clingfilmed and popped in the fridge!

Would that sure be suitable for rolls or sandwiches?

I'd like to try them and primarily for that purpose but the cost really puts me off.
    Grocery spends £193.44/ £70 per week or £303 per month
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi dollypeeps,
    They do not smell or anything so I would say they'd be fine for sandwiches. They are quite stiff when you first get them but soften with the warmth of your hands.

Would grease-proof paper be an option to wrap sandwiches in?? It is recyclable and compostable.
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    I used my beeswax wraps for sandwiches at the weekend, I used some string (which i will save and reuse for next time) to make sure everything stayed in place. They were fine when I got to eat them about 3 hours later.
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • dollypeeps
    Options
    Hi dollypeeps,
    They do not smell or anything so I would say they'd be fine for sandwiches. They are quite stiff when you first get them but soften with the warmth of your hands.

Would grease-proof paper be an option to wrap sandwiches in?? It is recyclable and compostable.

Thanks for that.

I have to admit that cost is putting me off at the moment!

Yes I do use grease proof paper from time to time.... well it’s baking paper but same really I suppose .... perhaps weigh up the cost of regular purchase of that against a one off purchase of beeswax wraps....

Have a lovely day x
  • dollypeeps
    Options
    Twiggy_34 wrote: »
    I used my beeswax wraps for sandwiches at the weekend, I used some string (which i will save and reuse for next time) to make sure everything stayed in place. They were fine when I got to eat them about 3 hours later.

That’s good to know Twiggy.... I never know if they’re fresh enough.... I do ask the fam when they home and they always say theirs were fine so can only take their word for it....

Do they not stick or stay folded then? You need some sort of fastening?

Have a lovely day x
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    To fasten wrapped sandwiches, I use those nice green rubber bands from supermarket bunches of scallions and radishes. I use breakfast cereal box lining bags to wrap.
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Dollypeeps. I guess it depends on how they're being transported. As mine were going to be rumbling around in my backpack I thought the string was a good idea. They do stay folded quite well, but the final "flap/fold" could easily be displaced I think. Perhaps it depends on your origami skills?!

In terms of long term cost effectiveness I think ill buy some beeswax and have a go at re-waxing the original fabric myself. I think it's mainly the deterioration of the wax over time that makes them less viable in the long term, but I'm sure the fabric could be made to last quite a good length of time if topped up with wax when needed.
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • dollypeeps
    Options
    Twiggy_34 wrote: »
    Hi Dollypeeps. I guess it depends on how they're being transported. As mine were going to be rumbling around in my backpack I thought the string was a good idea. They do stay folded quite well, but the final "flap/fold" could easily be displaced I think. Perhaps it depends on your origami skills?!

In terms of long term cost effectiveness I think ill buy some beeswax and have a go at re-waxing the original fabric myself. I think it's mainly the deterioration of the wax over time that makes them less viable in the long term, but I'm sure the fabric could be made to last quite a good length of time if topped up with wax when needed.

Lol my origami skills leave a lot to be desired!!! I thought they may self stick or something. I can certainly see why you'd need a fastening in a ruck sack ....my family put their sandwiches in their lunch boxes so should, in theory, hold fast.
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Happy Earth day everyone
    CRx
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you buy breakfast cereal, the bag inside the box is excellent for wrapping sandwiches, I use them for pretty much all food wrapping - fridge, freezer etc. They are easy to wash up and last for ages, also free if you're buying the cereal anyway.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport