Borderline harassment from lender

Options
Hi all,

I purchased a house 12 years ago - at the time my credit record wasn't exemplary and I had to obtain a mortgage from a sub-prime. To this day, I have not missed a single payment (and my credit rating is top - hoorah). Anyway, the original lender sold on the mortgage to another firm quite a few years ago.

I bought the house to stop my parents being evicted and the house being repossessed for non-payment of the mortgage they had. I then had to inform the new (current) mortgage lender that they were tenants so the mortgage could be changed to buy-to-let, etc. All done above board. They have since written to me every six months asking me to confirm the tenancy is ongoing.

In November my parents moved out and I have been modernising the house to put it up for sale. This took until March, and every month the lender was writing to me asking for an update on the work, when it was going up for sale, etc etc.

Now that the house is up for sale, they have presented me with a form to fill out which allows them to contact the estate agent to discuss progress, how much the house is up for sale for. They have stated that NOT providing this authority is in breach of my mortgage T&Cs. I'm not at all comfortable with this. Has anyone been through this before? The house is up for sale for more than the outstanding mortgage, so when it goes it'll wipe that debt out. My first instinct is to push back hard and ask for a copy of the T&Cs, specifically what I'd be breaching, but if it's a typical thing then I'll just fill it out and send it back.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just sign the paperwork , what harm does it cause them being able to ask the agent for updates ?
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When is your mortgage end date?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • the_logician
    Options
    I'm not sure of the exact date, but it'll run to the end of its term in about 12 years or so (i.e. it'll be paid off if I keep paying instead of selling the house).

If you mean when the deal is up, it's been on a variable for a long time. They tried to get me to renew last year (with an ultimatum: renew or we won't allow you to rent the property out anymore - I chose to sell it). Part of me thinks they're not making enough money off it, so they're trying to twist my arm.
  • JayRitchie
    JayRitchie Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thats not harassment. Ask them for a copy of the T+Cs if it makes you feel better - they won't think its an unusual question.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They tried to get me to renew last year (with an ultimatum: renew or we won't allow you to rent the property out anymore - I chose to sell it).

Renew what precisely?

Was an exception made due to the fact it was your parents in residence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure