sainsburys probation period

Options
hello im on a 12 week probation period at sainsburys distribution centre and ive had 2 sick days off and ive rang in both times to let them know.
i meet all the rates and am never called in the office as im getting along fine with the job but
im coming up to the end of probation im worried will i be let go for having 2 days of sickness?

Comments

• jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You might be let go. They may be lenient. It's their decision.

In my experience, a lot of companies and managers (including me) will fail a probation if there has been more than one absence. I don't know how Sainsbury's distribution centres work though!

Sensible to look around for other jobs.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Many places take a very dim view of people having time off sick in the first few weeks of employment. Apart from anything else it is disruptive to training schedules and can create a considerable amount of extra work.
    Single days off sick are possibly viewed even more in a negative light as any serious illness will generally require more than one day to recover.
    New starters are expected to make every effort to attend, in order to create a good impression of their work ethic as anything else.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you’ll be okay if you haven’t breached their rules on the amount of absences per year.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Having two sickness periods in 12 weeks where you were SO ill that you could not come into work is very unlucky and unusual.

How long were you off for each time?

It will depend on if your boss sees you as a risk e.g. one of those people that takes time of for just a cold.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Having two sickness periods in 12 weeks where you were SO ill that you could not come into work is very unlucky and unusual.

How long were you off for each time?

It will depend on if your boss sees you as a risk e.g. one of those people that takes time of for just a cold.

In the original post they say they have had 2 days off sick and phoned in both times. That is 2 x 1 day absences in 12 weeks in my book, and wouldn't impress me as a manager.
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Two absences in the first few months is hardly ideal but context is everything. Depends on your overall relationship with your manager. Does he/she understand the reasons for your absence? Could it just be "unlucky" and is not typical of your work pattern? Or are you the type of employee who regularly takes the odd day when perhaps they really could drag themselves to work? Hard to say and only the OP knows the answer to that one.

If it were someone in my team, I would be a little concerned about the absence but if the overall conduct and output of the employee was satisfactory or better, and the reasons given were plausible I might give the benefit of the doubt.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    In the original post they say they have had 2 days off sick and phoned in both times. That is 2 x 1 day absences in 12 weeks in my book, and wouldn't impress me as a manager.
    If you were my manager, my Biographical Data would be in linked and the second word I would use has two F's!
  • mai_taylor
    mai_taylor Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    Wow people are harsh. You can't help being ill and 2 days in 3 months is hardly excessive. When I first started my job I had to call in sick in the first 2 weeks because of noro virus, i was projectile vomiting for 12 hours there's no way I could have gone into work. Pretty much straight after that I had the flu. Trying to learn a new job when you're not feeling well and going in and passing it on to everyone else is also not going to make a good impression.
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    mai_taylor wrote: »
    Wow people are harsh. You can't help being ill and 2 days in 3 months is hardly excessive. When I first started my job I had to call in sick in the first 2 weeks because of noro virus, i was projectile vomiting for 12 hours there's no way I could have gone into work. Pretty much straight after that I had the flu. Trying to learn a new job when you're not feeling well and going in and passing it on to everyone else is also not going to make a good impression.

That's why I mentioned context as being important here. You can't help being ill and in the case of vomiting viruses then you may well be told to stay at home anyway. But we don't know the reasons the OP was absent.

But in my experience people have very different thresholds as to what warrants calling in sick. We have someone in our office who had four days off for "a cold" (her own words).

Whilst I understand a cold can make you feel a bit crap, I think that is a little excessive. I had a cold myself last week and felt pretty crap, but still went to work.

Our workplace policy is not to have more than three absences in one rolling 12 month period otherwise a HR Meeting is triggered.

With that in mind, I'm not going to "waste" a occurrence on something like a cold, but many people do!
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stripeyfox wrote: »
    That's why I mentioned context as being important here. You can't help being ill and in the case of vomiting viruses then you may well be told to stay at home anyway. But we don't know the reasons the OP was absent.

But in my experience people have very different thresholds as to what warrants calling in sick. We have someone in our office who had four days off for "a cold" (her own words).

Whilst I understand a cold can make you feel a bit crap, I think that is a little excessive. I had a cold myself last week and felt pretty crap, but still went to work.

Our workplace policy is not to have more than three absences in one rolling 12 month period otherwise a HR Meeting is triggered.

With that in mind, I'm not going to "waste" a occurrence on something like a cold, but many people do!

Quite - I've had periods of intense headaches/migraines, vomiting, sleeplessness, fatigue, sensitivity to noise and light, dehydration etc....it was awful and there was no way in the world I should be in work - the fact I'd drunk 10 pints of strong lager the night before is totally unconnected and irrelevant....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure