HMRC Research Request

I have just received an email from a woman working as a part of the Research Recruitment team at HMRC.

She wants me to take part in a survey but I am not sure it is genuine. I have included part of the email below'

"We are keen to talk to you about how you log into your Personal Tax Account or access HMRC records online.

It will be an online interview, which requires you to use your laptop or computer (not a tablet or phone) so that the researcher can share her screen, for you to view some test pages. These test pages will help us to understand how clear our screens are, so please don't feel that you are being tested."

Has anyone else received a similar request?

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Instinct screams scam.

But whats the email? Not definitive as emails can be spoofed but most scammers aren't that bright.

Did it address you as your name appears on your online account? Is that the email you signed up on? Why aren't they conducting it via your account? Or via everyones account for that matter? Would be cheaper to set up a online survey form than have someone do a online chat......

I'd say identity thieves. Looking to gain financial information about you to see how much you're worth as well as access to sensitive financial information.

Report it to HMRC.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I got one too using my correct christian name. I thought the address looked reasonable but I did notice they asked you to reply to a no-reply address.

In any event, not taking any chances and it is in the recycle!
  • To be fair they have used my first name which is not included in my email address and I did agree last year to be part of their research panel.

Nevertheless it does appear to be rather amateurish. Oh, and they are offering me a £50 shopping voucher.

Their email is "no-reply@take-part-in-research.service.gov.uk" which does have a genuine ring to it.
  • newatc wrote: »
    I got one too using my correct christian name. I thought the address looked reasonable but I did notice they asked you to reply to a no-reply address.

In any event, not taking any chances and it is in the recycle!
    Good point. How do you reply to a no reply email address?
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    HMRC Digital (and other government departments) do conduct research with members of the public. £50 vouchers are typical incentives offered.

How you determine it's genuine or not, I have no idea.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    A quick search found this site https://signup.take-part-in-research.service.gov.uk/home

Which does make it seem like the email could be genuine, but asking for a reply to a no reply address is nonsensical.
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    A quick search found this site https://signup.take-part-in-research.service.gov.uk/home

Which does make it seem like the email could be genuine, but asking for a reply to a no reply address is nonsensical.

I think that sums it up correctly. Probably not spam but not clever.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    HMRC. Nonsensical? Amateurish? Not Clever?

No, can't see the connection ... :)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    polymaff wrote: »
    HMRC. Nonsensical? Amateurish? Not Clever?

No, can't see the connection ... :)

Whoda thunk it? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family