To buy: spin or exercise bike??

Options
I want to exercise more. I have a treadmill already and thought of getting a bike. Not sure which one to buy and will I use it. I dont want it to be a fancy clothes horse. I thought if I can watch tv whilst cycling. I have read about different bike types and prices already and still confused. I am not one to go to a spin class and prefer to exercise without an audience. I think of exercise bikes as not getting enough out of it and a spin bike better. What do you think? I was looking at one at £149 or £199 via Argos...others are too expensive.
:beer:

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After quite a bit of research we bought this one a few months ago.

Seems quite sturdy and no problems with it so far (although the saddle takes some breaking in!)
  • happy_gardener
    Options
    Thanks for reply. Have read the amazon reviews though......mmmmm...
  • cjj_2
    cjj_2 Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I want to exercise more. I have a treadmill already and thought of getting a bike. Not sure which one to buy and will I use it. I dont want it to be a fancy clothes horse. I thought if I can watch tv whilst cycling. I have read about different bike types and prices already and still confused. I am not one to go to a spin class and prefer to exercise without an audience. I think of exercise bikes as not getting enough out of it and a spin bike better. What do you think? I was looking at one at £149 or £199 via Argos...others are too expensive.

After starting biking outdoors in the summer for 35 mins a day I have now bought an indoor cycle for the dark mornings etc. didn't think I would ever get into it but I enjoy the convienience of just hoping on and get going. I now do 30 mins each day and it's more challenging with the settings as my outdoor rides were all on flat. It's the single most thing that has changed my body shape and for that reason I definitely intend to keep it up. It cost about £80 from tesco. Hth
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd get a turbo trainer or a set of rollers. But there again I'm a cyclist.
    If you can watch the goggle box at the same time, your not doing it right
  • happy_gardener
    Options
    ceredigion wrote: »
    I'd get a turbo trainer or a set of rollers. But there again I'm a cyclist.
    If you can watch the goggle box at the same time, your not doing it right

Thanks for your comment...as it made me think. As I want to exercise whilst watching the tv..I think an exercise bike would be more my thing.
  • sweld
    Options
    I have a Sunny Health spin bike, it can easily adjust the resistance. The quality is very good.
  • AntoinKell
    Options
    Well, i have an Exercise Bike. it works great for me.

You should search for an exercise bike with different resistance levels, and the seat must to be comfortable enough on the grounds that you will invest a considerable amount of time in it.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Just to point out that the OP asked for advice 2-and-a-half years ago.

This thread has been brought back from the dead twice since then.

I very much doubt that the OP - who hasn't been back on MSE for nearly a year - is still trying to choose what fitness apparatus to buy.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    selenarichard.
    The OP was looking to buy over four years ago.
    And hasn't logged on to MSE since 2016.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    selenarichard.
    The OP was looking to buy over four years ago.
    And hasn't logged on to MSE since 2016.
    Again ^^^^
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family