We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Anyone else get this scam call today?

Options
2»

Comments

• Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 January 2019 at 11:59AM
    Options
    I luv cats - that's exactly the same that I got - the robotic voice. I blocked the number and, so far, they haven't phoned back from a different one.

Thanks for all your kind replies. I guess all that matters is if a specific comp is responsible for us being spammed. But it doesn't look like that's the case, as I think more would've been affected, and said so.

I'm very grateful for all your input, as always.

Blu XXX
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • Painkiller
    Painkiller Posts: 6,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've had 3 of those debt calls from 077 numbers this week with the last couple of digits changing each time. It is on the number I use for comps so I suspect I've entered something quetionable.
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    0151 199 it was for me
  • Blulu
    Options
    Painkiller wrote: »
    I've had 3 of those debt calls from 077 numbers this week with the last couple of digits changing each time. It is on the number I use for comps so I suspect I've entered something quetionable.

Painkiller, if you get to see this reply, can I check, did you enter the Bauer Media, radio comps? The ones where you are allowed, for example, 6, 9, or whatever amount of entries is specified? I'm nearly sure that these are the only ones I have entered, using my mobile phone number. It would be interesting to know if everyone getting these scam calls entered those specific comps. Also any who did, did you get an 077 scam call and/or from 0151?

Thanks

Blu XXX
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • Painkiller
    Painkiller Posts: 6,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not since the middle of December. First number (18th Jan) began 07704 followed by two 07736 numbers (21st & 22nd Jan).

I went back through 64 pages of active competitions last night and expired competitions up to ones that had ended around 13th Jan but could only find 2 competitions that weren't ones I regularly enter - One didn't have a place to type your phone number on the entry form and you hadn't left thanks on the other one so I assume you didn't enter.
  • Daphne01
    Daphne01 Posts: 22,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me too also 077 ending with 89
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• Blulu
    Options
    Thanks soooooo much Painkiller. As you say, I'm sure I didn't enter those two comps, if I didn't tick thanks. I guess it is a more random thing then. This makes it better for me, as I think I'll just say 'stuff it' and enter what I want freely. I guess breaches will happen sometimes. But as long as it isn't linked to any one specific comp, on a regular basis, I'll try to stop the brain from worrying about it.

Gratefully yours

Blu XXX
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • LeeRits
    LeeRits Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Probably a data breach somewhere. I had a call on tuesday from an 07736 number and the same call wednesday from an 07921 number. Something about debt and government support grant or some nonsense. I stayed on the line and it gave me an option of pressing a number to opt out of future calls. I did that and haven't had one since
  • andrew71
    andrew71 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't already have the app Truecaller on your phone then I suggest it's worthwhile downloading.
    If a number comes up and it's in their database as dodgy the app informs you.
    You can also block numbers.
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can also sign up for the TPS here : https://www.tpsonline.org.uk//tps/index.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport