Is this a breach of data protection?

I work in a department with 2 colleagues, we've all just received our increase in salary for the new year. We all openly talk of our salaries and bonuses, ensuring all is fair. Equal pay for equal work. This year is the first year where one of my 2 colleagues has received a higher wage increase than myself and the other colleague, we'll call the higher paid colleague, C.
I sent an email to my manager asking why this is the case and received the reply "C mentioned they haven't spoken of their increase in salary to anyone, how did you come to know C's wage increase? I am now looking at a serious breach of data protection"
What am I looking at now?

To add, I sent the email as I am genenuinely confused why C has received a higher wage. The workloads of us is as follows;
C - 30%
Other colleague - 10% (Does the bare minimum but I get along with him, I can't blame him)
Me - 60% (Seriously, no extragation, I prefer more work as the time goes quicker)
Both my manager and C are very sly, different in private than they are public.

Comments

• jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    To add, I sent the email as I am genenuinely confused why C has received a higher wage.

Do you have a protected characteristic? Are you a woman and your colleagues men? (probably not given your username but worth checking!).

Generally speaking, employers can pay who they like what they like. They may just think the others are more skilled. Also, generally pay is related to skills rather than workloads.
    "C mentioned they haven't spoken of their increase in salary to anyone, how did you come to know C's wage increase? I am now looking at a serious breach of data protection" What am I looking at now?

There's no data protection breach. But what you are looking at is a very angry manager, which isn't great.

It might be worth apologising, say you must have got the wrong end of the stick and that you were just asking to see if there's something you could do better.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If C didn't tell you how do you know?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    C probably isn't going to very chuffed that you've landed him in it, either - presuming they told you but are now denying it. If they didn't tell you, then how did you find out? That could potentially be a data breach which is why your manager is going to need to find out where your information came from.

For future reference, that really wasn't a very smart way of going about things. Whether you think they are "sly" or not is neither here nor there.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Jordan90 wrote: »
    I work in a department with 2 colleagues, we've all just received our increase in salary for the new year. We all openly talk of our salaries and bonuses, ensuring all is fair. Equal pay for equal work. This year is the first year where one of my 2 colleagues has received a higher wage increase than myself and the other colleague, we'll call the higher paid colleague, C.
    I sent an email to my manager asking why this is the case and received the reply "C mentioned they haven't spoken of their increase in salary to anyone, how did you come to know C's wage increase? I am now looking at a serious breach of data protection"
    What am I looking at now?

To add, I sent the email as I am genenuinely confused why C has received a higher wage. The workloads of us is as follows;
    C - 30%
    Other colleague - 10% (Does the bare minimum but I get along with him, I can't blame him)
    Me - 60% (Seriously, no extragation, I prefer more work as the time goes quicker)
    Both my manager and C are very sly, different in private than they are public.
    Good luck in the job hunt...
  • Jordan90
    Jordan90 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    Do you have a protected characteristic? Are you a woman and your colleagues men? (probably not given your username but worth checking!).
    No, me and the other colleague that didn't receive an increase are both men, while C is a woman.
    Generally speaking, employers can pay who they like what they like. They may just think the others are more skilled. Also, generally pay is related to skills rather than workloads.
    C isn't more skilled than me, I'm more knowledgable of the system and receive more requests from the manager to carry out. 60% of the workload tasks are my responsibilty, but I understand employers can pay who they like what they like, I will be raising a complaint about the increase to C's pay in relation to mine and my other colleague, but this thread is just about if I've potentially breached the data protection as I have no clue. I get it's my word vs C's but I still wanted confirmation for peace of mind really.
    There's no data protection breach. But what you are looking at is a very angry manager, which isn't great.

It might be worth apologising, say you must have got the wrong end of the stick and that you were just asking to see if there's something you could do better.
    Thanks!
  • Jordan90
    74jax wrote: »
    If C didn't tell you how do you know?
    She did tell me, I've worked with her for near 10 years, she's always been sly but never this bad. All 3 of us are open and honest about any rewards we get to ensure we all get the same amount which is fair.
  • Comms69

Everyone has protected characteristics.

There is no requirement to pay men and women the same
  • Jordan90
    elsien wrote: »
    C probably isn't going to very chuffed that you've landed him in it, either - presuming they told you but are now denying it. If they didn't tell you, then how did you find out? That could potentially be a data breach which is why your manager is going to need to find out where your information came from.

For future reference, that really wasn't a very smart way of going about things. Whether you think they are "sly" or not is neither here nor there.
    C did tell me and is now denying it, it was naive of me, I'm in my own head, I forget and just assume ppl will be as honest as I am, hence why I called them both sly.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Jordan90 wrote: »
    She did tell me, I've worked with her for near 10 years, she's always been sly but never this bad. All 3 of us are open and honest about any rewards we get to ensure we all get the same amount which is fair.

You can't ensure you all get the same rewards. Whatever you might think, that's down to the employer. All making a complaint will do is make you look worse. I really wouldn't go there.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Comms69
    Discussing salaries is often a no no; public sector is usually the exception - due to handing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure