We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pensionbee

Options
Hi all.

Sorry - I am new to the forum but need some advise.

Does anyone have any experience with the above company - Pensionbee?

I have 7 pensions - some personal and some company - which I want to consolidate into one and this company seem to have good reviews.
I suppose you can't help being nervous though.

Thanks

Eric

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have any experience with the above company - Pensionbee?

They post on the forum sometimes.

Seem much the same as every other basic robo-advice style offering.
    I have 7 pensions - some personal and some company - which I want to consolidate into one and this company seem to have good reviews.

Whilst I have no issue with them at all. They are perfectly fine for smaller pensions. I do wonder the value of these reviews as they haven't been around long enough to build up any real history. That means the reviews are probably about simple tasks that even the worst providers, in terms of admin, wouldn't have issues with.

What made you select pensionbee?
    investment selection? charges?
    How does it compare to your workplace scheme? (if employed)
    Does pensionbee features and options match your requirements?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ekware68
    Options
    Thanks Dunstonh

I was just looking for an “easy” method of combining pensions.

Just starting new job and I know the pension provider will be Aegon so I suppose I could wait and combine into that.

No real reason for looking at pensionbee apart from being prominent in a search (not just Adwords) when I searched for consolidating my pensions.

I was going to transfer them all into my prudential person pension only to be told that my plan can’t accept transfers in.

Thanks again

Eric
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have 7 pensions - some personal and some company

Do any of them have "safeguarded benefits" with a value greater than £30,000?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/495377/pension-benefits-with-a-guarantee-factsheet-jan-2016.pdf
  • ekware68
    Options
    Hi xylophone

Thanks for the reply

No I don’t think so. The highest value is £19k

Thanks again

Eric
  • dunstonh
    edited 26 July 2018 at 12:17PM
    Options
    I was just looking for an !!!8220;easy!!!8221; method of combining pensions.
    Is it best to combine the pensions or leave them?

Combining can be beneficial for some plans but not others. For example, I have just finished the file on a case where someone had 5 pensions. Only 3 of them were suitable to combine. I would estimate, on avearge, around 1 in 5 are best left where they are.

The FCA themselves do not consider consolidation a viable reason by itself for advisers to use as justification. Pensionbee is not an advised service. They do what you tell them. You can do what you want (largely). So, effectively, you have to take on the role of an adviser when you DIY. You are responsible for the decision making.
    I was going to transfer them all into my prudential person pension only to be told that my plan can!!!8217;t accept transfers in.
    Most of Pru's legacy plans are closed for new money.

Pensionbee is not actually that cheap. The same can be said for most robo-advice offerings. They make that they are. Often giving misleading information on the websites about other offerings - and pensionbee do that on theirs too.

Pensionbee has three plans. One at 0.50%, another at 0.70% that they highlight as most popular - so people not knowing what they are doing are more likely to pick that. And another at 0.95%. Put three options together on the website as they do and most people will pick the middle one.

The pensionbee website says above those charges that others could charge you over 2.5%. Yes they can. SIPPs have over 30,000 investment options and the most expensive could be in that range. It doesn't make them bad though. And certainly does not reflect the mainstream.

However, lets stick to reality and not marketing.

That case I mentioned above was done with an annual charge of 0.34% and its investment style is similar to the pensionbee tailored option costing 0.70%. So, you can see that is quite a difference. I used Aegon but Pensionbees website says Aegons average charge is 0.8% and highest is 1.71%. Actually, Aegons highest can be higher than that but the fact it focuses on average and highest and not lowest or current offerings is misleading.

If you use an adviser then you suffer an adviser charge. However, if you have £100k in your pension and the charges difference is £360 in year one, it would not be long before the adviser charge is recovered and you are in profit. If you had £10k in your pensions, then it would not be cost effective to use an adviser and in that scenario pensionbee would be ideal.

Or there are other DIY options that give you more choice that can be better value for money but will require a little more time from you to understand them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 December 2018 at 12:27PM
    Options
    Does anyone here pay monthly contributions to Pension Bee?

I note that none of my 4 monthly contributions Sept - Dec have received tax relief yet.

Hargreaves Lansdown would have received the relief for September in late October and October in late November.

I wonder why it seems so slow for Pension Bee.

Only a small pension, not the end of the world, just an observation.

Obviously no point making big contributions before retirement here if the relief is outstanding several months later!

EDIT: All 4 relief payments are showing as Pending, so they will be credited but I have no idea when.

According to their website they should operated the same tinescale as Hargreaves but it doesnt actually seem to be the case ...

We’ll apply for tax relief on 15th of the month, on any contributions received by the 5th of the same month. HMRC will then usually pay this to us by the 21st of the next month, and your balance should be updated by the 28th of the month.

Example 1: For a contribution of £100 received on or before 05/10, tax relief will be requested on 15/10. We would expect to receive funds from HMRC on 21/11. Your balance should then be updated with your £20 around 28/11. (Total processing time of around 8 weeks)
  • dunstonh
    Options
    The big firms tend to pre-fund tax relief and you get it instantly. That is a cost to the provider though. So, the budget firms dont tend to prefund but wait until HMRC pay the tax relief.

Last time I looked into it I was told the provider should submit a consolidated return to HMRC by the end of the month for payments up to 5th of that month (6th to 5th being the month cycle). HMRC pay it on the 21st of the following month and it should turn up in the pension account a few days after that.

So, I would have expected September to have arrived (either late October or late November depending on your payment date). October possibly (depending on payment date). Nov would be due later this month or January (depending on your payment date).
  • ffacoffipawb
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    The big firms tend to pre-fund tax relief and you get it instantly. That is a cost to the provider though. So, the budget firms dont tend to prefund but wait until HMRC pay the tax relief.

Last time I looked into it I was told the provider should submit a consolidated return to HMRC by the end of the month for payments up to 5th of that month (6th to 5th being the month cycle). HMRC pay it on the 21st of the following month and it should turn up in the pension account a few days after that.

So, I would have expected September to have arrived (either late October or late November depending on your payment date). October possibly (depending on payment date). Nov would be due later this month or January (depending on your payment date).

Thanks.

Somebody at Pension Bee isn't doing their job properly then.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I assumed Pension Bee was some guy designing a website in his parents potting shed but looking at their website they now have people to make human or process errors so are going up in the world.

I would rather keep larger amounts such as pensions with established players and their fees are too high.
  • Retired_Minky
    Options
    I was thinking of joining pension bee for my partner? If their fees are too high who do you recommend?

My partner has approx £17k in their pension
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family