Employer Doles Out Punishment for the Pettiest Things!

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't think its unreasonable to be expected to a) be at work for 9am and b) be ready for work at 9am. Its no different to being expected to come to work in uniform and if you turn up in a Onesie when they are expecting you in a shirt and tie, don't be surprised if you get pulled to one side about it.

On the same scale if you have to leave home earlier to ensure you get there five minutes earlier than that's you'll have to do. I can drive to work in 15 minutes under ideal conditions with no traffic, but I would consider myself an idiot if I left at 8:40am for a 9am start on a Monday morning.

In an ideal world we would all walk through a door to work at 8:59:59 and leave at 17:00:01. But in reality that never happens. You agree to the rules of an organisation when you agree to go and work for them and that includes what time you clock on/sign in.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    In an ideal world we would all walk through a door to work at 8:59:59

Despite my first post on this thread, I did actually have a job in Manchester city centre close to the town hall and I would walk on to the floor every day as the town hall clock was chiming at 9am. But it was a job where I would typically work through a lot of my dinner so there was some give and take if I was a few minutes late.

The alternative was I would be 59 minutes early. My boss was relaxed about it providing I hit my targets each month, which I did.

But as you say, you work to the rules of the company. If my boss had said I need to be ready dead on 9am, I would be. But I would not work through my lunch.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Depending on the nature of the job, your employer, if they are an outsource company, may be fined if they miss SLA's (Service level agreements). This is certainly the case with a former employer of mine, and was the reason why they were very strict on adherence. Its fair enough.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    There also needs to be a bit of common sense applied by all parties involved around time to log in to a computer system. When I worked for a major bank all desktop computers were started up automatically at about 7am so they were ready for staff to log in and start work. When I worked for DWP is would literally take 20 minutes to power up the computer and load the various applications required. I do not think it reasonable for a company to expect staff to start 20 minutes early each day to compensate for their poor systems.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I do not think it reasonable for a company to expect staff to start 20 minutes early each day to compensate for their poor systems.
    Neither would most people. But most people would, if unhappy with their employer, live with it until they got another job, not have a hissy fit about having to be in work on time, feign a breakdown over being expected to be in work on time, quit, live off the taxpayers - and blame it on an employer who expected them to attend work on time. And then have the audacity to think that they should be compensated for it! There are, just very occasionally, times when I think sanctions are justified. God help us if expecting your employees to attend work on time regularly is now bullying.
  • I am very lucky - I have flexi, with no core hours. Saying that, I work my contracted hours (and often more). I catch a train, so I am either in for 8am or 8.35. My boss knows that if I’m not in by 9am and haven’t got in touch that there is a problem.

FWIW, your former employer expected you to work your hours. You didn’t. Not just once, but several times. You didn’t make contact either. If my train is late or cancelled, I ring or text. I usually stay late too. I’ve taken calls from colleagues stuck in traffic due to major incidents. That’s fine. It happens. If they’d not bothered to call and just sauntered in, late' they would be in trouble.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    One of my colleagues is paid for 5 hours a day, starting at 9.00am.
    She invariably comes in at around 7.00am, and is perfectly happy to "donate" 2hrs a day of her time to the advice charity is employed by.
    She has a demanding client focused role, and these additional hours give her the quiet time she needs to catch up on admin, etc.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I'm fortunate in that for the last 12 years I've been on flexi time. But can remember many years ago getting a verbal warning for being late.

It can seem a harsh lesson for lots of people to learn but in reality easy to fix. Go to bed on time, avoid partying on a schoolnight, get up a little earlier, get that earlier bus etc. None of this is difficult and employers like punctuality.
  • Some people are "early" people and some people are "late" people. I've known plenty of both over the years. The mate who says he'll meet you at 8pm but doesn't turn up until 9 and offers no real apology. I'm an early person. If your job starts at 9 then you should be in your seat ready to go by then. Get in at 8.30, grab a coffee and you've plenty of time to have a chat and be ready to go. You really shouldn't be cutting it so fine.
  • While I agree with most that OP is trolling and has no case against the company, I would also point out that with the fun and games of the railway timetable change in May, many would not have lasted 2 weeks if their employers has a policy to fire anyone who is late for 3 times in 6 months. My journey to work normally takes about an hour and there were many days I left home before 7am and still did not make it to the office at 9am. A bit of perspective may be advisable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure