Utility Warehouse & Churchill recovery solutions

Options
Hi, I got a call from Churchill recovery solutions on behalf of Utility Warehouse and I'm a bit worried, I'll explain the situation:

2 years ago I moved into a flat in Glasgow from Spain, the flat utility bills were with Utility Warehouse before my flatmates and I moved so we continued with them; I didn't have a bank account back then, so we registered under both my name and my flatmate's and we paid with her bank account. The service wasn't great, but we never had mayor problems with them. A year later, our contract ended, we paid our last bills and had a chat before leaving with the new tenants, telling them to call the company and inform them they were moving in (which was what we did when we arrived). Never received an email nor a call from Utility Warehouse after that.

Now, a year later after we left that flat I got a call from Churchill recovery solutions asking for a confirmation about the address I lived in when I had a contract with Utility Warehouse. I was half asleep (it was 08:30 on a Saturday morning) so I gave them the address and they hung up without saying a word.

A few minutes later I received a message asking me to contact Churchill recovery solutions' office.

What I want to know is what to expect next?
As far as I know our bills were paid, my former flatmates left the country and I didn't keep any bills or documents. All the information they have from me is my name, email and phone number.
If anyone has had any experience with them and have any advice I'd very much appreciate it, I'm worried this might result in them harassing me with calls or any legal problem.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Anyone chasing a debt must be able to provide evidence of the debt when asked to do so, normally i would say send the provit letter to them, but as all you have received are calls and texts, is it possible they do not know your current address ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • mjmg91
    Options
    Hi,

yes, they don't know my current address, all they have is my email and phone number
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 November 2018 at 12:48PM
    Options
    mjmg91 wrote: »
    Hi,

yes, they don't know my current address, all they have is my email and phone number

Well in that case its up to you how you proceed.

You can block them on both email and mobile, and continue to ignore them, the only down side is if they decided to take legal action, all papers would go to your old address, and you would get a CCJ by default, that would be a risk in this situation.

Your other option is to engage with them, in writing only, deny any debt exists, and get them to prove otherwise.

More hassle maybe, but at least it brings the matter to a head, but as i said, its up to you how you want to deal with it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    mjmg91 wrote: »
    Hi, I got a call from Churchill recovery solutions on behalf of Utility Warehouse and I'm a bit worried, I'll explain the situation:

2 years ago I moved into a flat in Glasgow from Spain, the flat utility bills were with Utility Warehouse before my flatmates and I moved so we continued with them; I didn't have a bank account back then, so we registered under both my name and my flatmate's and we paid with her bank account. The service wasn't great, but we never had mayor problems with them. A year later, our contract ended, we paid our last bills and had a chat before leaving with the new tenants, telling them to call the company and inform them they were moving in (which was what we did when we arrived). Never received an email nor a call from Utility Warehouse after that.

Now, a year later after we left that flat I got a call from Churchill recovery solutions asking for a confirmation about the address I lived in when I had a contract with Utility Warehouse. I was half asleep (it was 08:30 on a Saturday morning) so I gave them the address and they hung up without saying a word.

A few minutes later I received a message asking me to contact Churchill recovery solutions' office.

What I want to know is what to expect next?
    As far as I know our bills were paid, my former flatmates left the country and I didn't keep any bills or documents. All the information they have from me is my name, email and phone number.
    If anyone has had any experience with them and have any advice I'd very much appreciate it, I'm worried this might result in them harassing me with calls or any legal problem.

Thanks. :)

Did you contact utility warehouse yourself to let them know you moved out?
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • mjmg91
    Options
    To be honest, it was more than a year ago and I'm not 100% sure, I didn't contact them but can't remember if my flatmate called them or we left it just for the new tenants to call and inform them they had moved into the flat. It was pretty dumb from us, but we just did the same as the people who lived there before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure