Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 6th Nov 18, 3:32 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 31Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE Poll: How many car insurance price comparison sites do you use?
    • 6th Nov 18, 3:32 PM
    MSE Poll: How many car insurance price comparison sites do you use? 6th Nov 18 at 3:32 PM
    Poll started 6 November 2018
    In the last week, the Competition and Markets Authority accused Compare The Market of breaking the law by stopping insurers advertising the cheapest prices.

Our cheap car insurance guide has always suggested you combine comparison sites, both as they list different firms and as they can even charge differently for the same ones. But do you do it?

Please select the CLOSEST option to what you usually do.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 1
    • misterg41
    • By misterg41 7th Nov 18, 11:22 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    misterg41
    • 7th Nov 18, 11:22 AM
    Car insurance poll
    • 7th Nov 18, 11:22 AM
    I used to use comparison sites but now look on cashback sites and get quotes from the top few recommended by Which?
    Incidentally I do the same for home insurance and was just surprised to get 105 tracked against a Saga policy costing 145 for buildings and contents. Thought it might be too good to be true but it has tracked!
    Mister G
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 7th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    • 5,036 Posts
    • 17,105 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    tend to just use one comparison site each time for all my insurances (car, house, contents) the only time I auto-renew is if it is still a competitive price after I have done a comparison.

I HATE filling out forms.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 78.2
    Total so far - 3564.6
    • Brisbaneroad
    • By Brisbaneroad 7th Nov 18, 9:00 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Brisbaneroad
    • 7th Nov 18, 9:00 PM
    My answer not available
    • 7th Nov 18, 9:00 PM
    My answer would have been that my broker does the comparison for me. Same for my household insurance. You'll find out the difference from online sites if you ever have to make a claim. And I'm helping to keep local people in work.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 8th Nov 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 8th Nov 18, 2:25 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 2:25 PM
    I use all the comparison sites mentioned in the car insurance section of the main MSE site. I do take cashback into account but I weigh up the amount of cashback vs how much extra it would cost if the cashback doesn't track.
    Last edited by NaughtiusMaximus; 08-11-2018 at 2:31 PM.
    • baldeagle09
    • By baldeagle09 8th Nov 18, 9:13 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    baldeagle09
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:13 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:13 PM
    I use all the comparison sites. Ironically I auto-renew with Direct Line as it is over 120 cheaper than the best of the rest and has been for the last few years. Winston Wolf will sort you out!
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 9th Nov 18, 10:41 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:41 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:41 AM
    I use all the comparison sites. Ironically I auto-renew with Direct Line as it is over 120 cheaper than the best of the rest and has been for the last few years.
    Originally posted by baldeagle09
    That's surprising, in my 20 years of car ownership I have only once stayed with the same insurer on renewal, every other year I got a better deal by switching.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

5,841Users online

Martin's Twitter