Comments

• TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    And Mr hparker is located where?
  • bobhopeful
    Options
    The consensus is to use up your SIPP first before your unsheltered investments and your ISA.

You mentioned considering inheritance. A SIPP can be passed on free of IHT.

If it is passed on before you are 75 the information I have read suggests a SIPP attracts no income tax (unfortunately the help guide I have does not make it clear if the "free of income tax" means the beneficiaries pay no income tax at all on any amounts they withdraw at any time regardless of their other taxable earnings).

If you pass it on after you were aged 75 it says the beneficiaries would have to pay income tax "at their marginal rate". I can't tell you what a "marginal rate" of tax is and the information didn't explain that term either.

I hope this helps but maybe some else can help more!
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A sensible answer cannot be given without knowing where the OP lives so that the terms of the relevant tax treaty are known.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • bobhopeful
    bobhopeful Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2018 at 11:15AM
    Options
    As advised above you need to check the DTT with a tax adviser. Once you have determined that your ISA, GIA and SIPP are clear of tax in your country of residence and there is no UK tax liability at the point of becoming UK tax resident, then you can decide the order to choose to deplete your three pots while you are still outside UK taxation.

The ISA is most tax advantageous under UK taxation So which to deplete first, SIPP or GIA?

This is not so easy to determine if you also want to consider inheritance as well.

Anything withdrawn from the GIA under UK tax residency will be subject to CGT. Anything left in the GIA and bequeathed would also be subject to IHT (assuming the exempt allowance is already used).

Anything withdrawn from the SIPP under UK tax residency will be subject to income tax. But anything left in the SIPP and bequeathed is exempt from IHT. If the bequeathed before age 75 the beneficiaries can withdraw the whole amount as lump sum or take an income from the pension fund without income tax in their own name. If bequeathed after age 75 then the beneficiaries will pay income tax on any amounts withdrawn.

All amounts (lump sum, or income) withdrawn from a SIPP are always taxed as income (subject to income tax) never as capital gains.

The other advantage of the SIPP (for IHT) is that it can be passed on to another and the recipient can do so as well, allowing a family tax-free legacy (if it remains within the pension wrapper) ad infinitum.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    hparker do you pay any income tax where you live?
  • hparker
    hparker Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you again for the replies.

I do not have plans to return to the UK now, but approching retirement I may soon need to withdraw income from my stocks and shares funds investments (SIPP, ISA, GIA). But in case I may ever be tax resident or subject to UK tax in future, if I need to withdraw income now I want to take it from the least UK tax efficient pots and leave the most UK-tax advantageous investments to accumulate further.
    bobhopeful wrote: »
    As advised above you need to check the DTT with a tax adviser. Once you have determined that your ISA, GIA and SIPP are clear of tax in your country of residence and there is no UK tax liability at the point of becoming UK tax resident, then you can decide the order to choose to deplete your three pots while you are still outside UK taxation.

The ISA is most tax advantageous under UK taxation So which to deplete first, SIPP or GIA?

This is not so easy to determine if you also want to consider inheritance as well.

Anything withdrawn from the GIA under UK tax residency will be subject to CGT. Anything left in the GIA and bequeathed would also be subject to IHT (assuming the exempt allowance is already used).

Anything withdrawn from the SIPP under UK tax residency will be subject to income tax. But anything left in the SIPP and bequeathed is exempt from IHT. If the bequeathed before age 75 the beneficiaries can withdraw the whole amount as lump sum or take an income from the pension fund without income tax in their own name. If bequeathed after age 75 then the beneficiaries will pay income tax on any amounts withdrawn.

All amounts (lump sum, or income) withdrawn from a SIPP are always taxed as income (subject to income tax) never as capital gains.

The other advantage of the SIPP (for IHT) is that it can be passed on to another and the recipient can do so as well, allowing a family tax-free legacy (if it remains within the pension wrapper) ad infinitum.

Reasons to deplete the SIPP first:
    All amounts withdrawn from a SIPP are taxed as income tax rate? So if the whole £200,000 was withdrawn from the SIPP, after any 0% personal allowance it would be taxed at the bands of basic, higher, and additional rates, 20%, 40%, 45%?

Whereas all withdrawals from the GIA would be taxed at Capital Gains Tax rates which are either 10% or 20% depending upon your income tax.

Reasons to deplete the GIA first
    Once I start to withdraw from the SIPP, that means I also cannot make further contributions into it. Also the SIPP is the only investment pot that can be passed on without inheritance tax.
    TBC15 wrote: »
    hparker do you pay any income tax where you live?

Yes in my country of residence I pay income tax for self employment. I also file a self assessment tax return in the UK to declare rental income on a flat which I rent out since I left the UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure