Pension fund value

Options
13»

Comments

• flopsy1973
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    The performance of the portfolio overall is not shocking; earlier replies explain why this is so. However, your portfolio looks odd/unbalanced as others have suggested. You also have one fund that are not performing well over any timeframe, e.g. SL SLI Global Absolute Return Strategies. I would suggest you switch out of that fund asap.

The issues with the portfolio (as I see it are):

- Why the Schroder Recovery fund, and not a broader UK Equity fund?
    - Why is there no specific exposure to the US or European Markets (when there is to Asia)? The Global Funds cover this off to a small degree, but many would want to see these key markets better represented in a balanced portfolio. (If you have excluded them by design then this is fine)
    - Why is one of the Global Funds focus on "basics", when a broader focus might offer more potential for growth?

I don't see an issue with the High Income fund as this is basically a "Dividend Stars" fund with minimal fixed interest income and I think there is a place in a balanced portfolio for such a fund.

It would be interesting to understand who designed on this portfolio, and the historic split of the contributions into each fund. If you are the designer, then this is a great opportunity to review the performance of the portfolio and each fund, and decide if your strategy is working, or whether you need to do more research to tweak the portfolio.

When i increased my payments to the maximum a few years back i wanted a higher risk of funds. The financial adviser our company used at the time came up with this range of funds for me. As its a company pension with SL i am restricted to their funds. I am willing to take a medium to high risk strategy with these funds, so which funds do i need to switch in/out off so i can take a look and make my own choices
    many thanks
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Probably not a good idea to check your pots values today !!!;):eek:
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Probably not a good idea to check your pots values today !!!;):eek:

Bah! If only I read that earlier ;)
    Earlier today I thought I would check on mine (versus my quarterly check only 7 days earlier)

Overall 2.77% down :eek:

It's a marathon, not a sprint. & I was cheered by the fact that I recently shifted 20% away from a world tracker element, putting 10% each into a Corp Bond & Gilt Index option.....& they were the lowest drops, at 1.84% & 2.66% respectively.
    I *suspect* the mauling isn't over, but who really knows....I'll leave out looking for a bit!!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I *suspect* the mauling isn't over, but who really knows....I'll leave out looking for a bit!!

Mauling? This recent drop is little more than a regular tickle.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    any suggestions on the funds i need to look at and switch
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    flopsy1973 wrote: »
    any suggestions on the funds i need to look at and switch

Has the reasoning behind why you bought the funds originally changed?

Far too easy to chase shadows.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Down about 4.5% at most recent update. Oh yesss!! I love that volatility, baby!
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    Down about 4.5% at most recent update. Oh yesss!! I love that volatility, baby!

Down 7% for me, down 8% on the year split as: -11% on capital and 3% dividends.

Will start cashing in 25% of my SIPP to crystallise 25% next summer when I am 55.

Going on a new car, new kitchen, new bathroom and 2 S&S ISA subs. A few quid left over will be reinvested in Premium Bonds as a short term deposit as I will be retiring between next summer and the end of 2020 and my defined benefit pensions (not massive - about the same as a full time minimum wage job) kick in in 2024 (age 60).

Rest of the pension will stay invested until I do retire then will use drawdown which with the DB on top (and the drawdown similarly reduced to compensate) should hopefully be OK.

All this assumes Corbyn is not going to be PM. In that instance, all bets are off for everybody.
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Has the reasoning behind why you bought the funds originally changed?

Far too easy to chase shadows.

They were mostly chosen by financial adviser, but my strategy has not changed just need to review
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    Any ideas on what funds i need to be ditching and moving into given my strategy and med to high risk profile

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport