Opening a bank account as soon as bankrupt

Options
Hi

I’m now officially bankrupt!! Can I open a new bank account straight away, and which has the best online banking please?

Comments

• broaps
    broaps Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Vivki

I can certainly recommend Nationwide as they were very helpful to us. Their basic account has full on-line and mobile banking and a proper contactless debit card. You can draw up to £500 daily from ATMs like normal people (when you have it again)! We have arranged for our DDs to be paid without any problem. The only difference from a "normal" account is there is no cheque book or overdraft but I think that applies to all basic accounts. And, of course, no bank charges. Easy to use website, friendly staff - check it out.
  • vivki
    vivki Posts: 39 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. I’ve applied to nationwide so that is great to hear!
  • london1973
    Options
    Maybe a bit late but i have found Barclays to be fantasic, and their app is superb, i haven’t been online once since i downloaded it, far better than any i used prior to BR
  • TimeToRebuild
    Options
    Nationwide and Halifax are good, Nationwide being my favorite, contactless card and online banking/ app
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Nationwide and Halifax are good, Nationwide being my favorite, contactless card and online banking/ app

Nationwide always gets good reports also Barclays and the Coop, I would avoid the Halifax though are they are not B.R friendly
  • ramtops
    ramtops Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I recommend Monzo - they're really great, and don't mind about bankruptcy.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    I applied online for a HSBC account last week, in preparation for going BR, but instead of them offering me a basic account, they've opened a normal current account, albeit no overdraft on it.

Should I transfer my benefits and non-debt DDs to it anyway and start using it now or is there a risk it would also be frozen along with the rest once I've applied for BR?
  • luvchocolate
    Options
    Did you tell them you were going B.R?
    If not I would think they they will either downgrade it to a basic one but pretty sure they will freeze the current account.
  • leescarlett
    Options
    Hello.

This is my first post, and I thought I'd offer my experience...

I went BR in 2013, and after speaking to the OR, agreed that I could keep my bank account open. Of course, I went to my bank (Lloyds) and told them as a heads up, and the manager there said they would be closing my account as they "absolutely do not accept BRs". Well, 5 years on and my account is still going strong.

As long as the OR is happy to keep you bank account open, I'd keep my options open for now. I only had student loans go in mine, so there wasn't much to see during the 1 year BR period. One thing though, I was told not to open a bank account with any of my creditors just in case they decided to be difficult.
  • luvchocolate
    Options
    It is not the O.R's decision if a bank account is kept open, if the O.R has no interest in the account it is still up to the bank whether they close it or not.
    Some banks are not B.R friendly and will close the account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure