Working at waitrose

Hello
Any Waitrose employees or former employees that can help me out?

Just got employed as temp night shelf filler,
The uniform is black trousers, black shoes and white shirt
Are the strict with the uniform policy, can you wear all black trainers?
Do the trousers have to be smart trousers?

Any advice about job,what expected in job ... survival tips very welcome too

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If they've sent you a uniform policy I would stick to it.

If after first few shifts it's obviously not enforced, dress down.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If they require a uniform why aren't they suppling it?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Livinlovinlaughin
    Livinlovinlaughin Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 October 2018 at 3:11PM
    Temp work.
    I have to buy shoes, shirt and trousers before I start
    Money is tight
    Just trying to see if I can save some money
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A pair of smart trousers, shoes and a white shirt may come in handy for other jobs (or job interviews, or other 'smart dress' occasions) so it's unlikely to be money wasted, even if this thing with Waitrose doesn't work out/happen.

I'm sure you can pick up something in Primark for a relatively little, or try the charity shops if things are that tight.
  • ReadingTim wrote: »
    A pair of smart trousers, shoes and a white shirt may come in handy for other jobs (or job interviews, or other 'smart dress' occasions) so it's unlikely to be money wasted, even if this thing with Waitrose doesn't work out/happen.

I'm sure you can pick up something in Primark for a relatively little, or try the charity shops if things are that tight.

I already have interview clothes and shoes, unfortunately not suitable for Waitrose
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    You could easily buy all you need for about £30 new, or less if you use charity shops as suggested above - if you'll be stacking shelves then cheaper clothes are the way to go as they aren't likely to last long...

In terms of 'survival tips', I can't see that you'll need any other employing common sense - John Lewis are known for how well they look after their staff and you'll probably find that there's a heavily subsided canteen on site and a range of other benefits. Also, depending on your contract and whether you become permanent, you might even qualify for the staff bonus which is normally quite a significant percentage of employees' annual salaries.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    I already have interview clothes and shoes, unfortunately not suitable for Waitrose

Unless you go to interviews in trainers then you are all set :)

There's an old phrase, "beggars can't be choosers". So just get on with until you get your first pay packet and upgrade your shoes.

Or consider any cheap/free alternatives (charities may be able to help, friends/family may be able to lend you £10/£20 etc). Or even look at cutting down on your expenditure (jib off a bill as a one off, but ring them. Or buy less food. Or use less gas/elecy if you're on a meter etc).
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    This is a temporary job but it could turn into a full time position if you impress Waitrose with both your attitude and quality of your work. I imagine they have lots of vacancies so I would dress as smartly as you can.

I would definitely not wear trainers
  • If the trainers don't look bad, are pretty neat, clean and all black, it might be passable with the even the basic cheapest black trousers from a supermarket - I say this as when it came to working on a courier depot floor last Christmas, the first thing that happened was the question what size are you for safety shoes? (not glamorous but safe) they really didn't care what I turned up dressed in, end of first day I went home with the full top half uniform (exception made for trousers alone) but the shoes which looked like heavy trainers.

You'll soon tell by their reaction first day if they don't feel what you wear is appropriate and you can do different dress 2nd day.

It would be tough to spend your money then find out it wasn't needed.
  • This is just a temporary stop gap job for me
    It will give me the opportunity to apply for jobs and go to interviews in the day time
    I have not done night work before
    Though I am very much a night owl
    I am having doubts as to whether I could handle night work on a permanent basis
    This is not a permanent job option for me
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport