RBS remediation Team scam? Or trap?

Leon_82
Leon_82 Posts: 40 Forumite
Hello.

Had this below emailed to me....

Had official RBS graphics.

The account number for my defaulted loan isn't the same.

Is this a trap for me to make contact as my loan will be statue barred this year in a few months!

Thanks.

Important information about your closed RBS loan ending 9452
We've been trying to contact you by mail, but we're still waiting to hear from you. Please get in touch as soon as you can.
We've made a mistake with the above loan account. Before we can fix this, we need you to confirm your current details.
How to contact us:
1) You can call our Customer Support Team on Freephone 0800 029 4210, or +44(0)1709 263346 if you're calling from abroad.
2) If you have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact us by Text Relay on 18001 0800 029 4210.
Our opening hours are between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday excluding UK Bank Holidays.
Please quote the above reference number in all communications with us.
Your sincerely,
Royal Bank of Scotland Remediation Team
PO Box 587, Manvers, Rotherham, S63 3FZ
About this Email
This email is confidential and intended for the addressee only. Please delete if that is not you.
This is a service message designed to keep y

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As it's been sent by email, and particularly as it does not have your correct account number, I would say you can safely ignore it.

Only when you have in your hands a written paper letter sent through your letterbox is the time to consider responding.
  • Check it’s validity with your bank. In my case I received the same correspondence from natwest (same address as the OP).

I contacted the natwest twitter account to check and they confirmed the phone number and address were legit.

I received £5k into my account a few weeks ago.

Don’t ONLY ask questions on thus forum or any other. Check with the bank. Interestingly, my branch had no clue, the call centre thought it was legit but wasn’t sure and it was only when I contacted natwest on twitter that they could confirm it was.

Hope that helps!
  • Just be careful - I assume you are hoping that if you ignore it, after the few months it will become barred and unenforceable. Replying to the email could be construed as making contact and acknowledging the debt, and hence resetting the 6 year timer. If you reply make sure you word it in such as way that you explicitly don't acknowledge the debt.

They still have time to take you to court and get a CCJ, meaning the debt can be enforced after 6 years... but only if they do so before the initial 6 years is up.

If you are worried about the legitimacy of the email, that's a different story. You'll need to make contact, but again you'd need to be careful.
  • Agree if the debt has been defaulted on, one should definitely be careful re correspondence. In this particular case, the team that is reaching out deals with refunding customers owing to a breach by the bank (most likely in relation to NOSIA breaches).

Mine was for a loan that I put into a deferred repayment plan after being out of work for a few months.

My main point anyway is that this isn’t a scam either by a 3rd party or by the bank but appreciate your point re treading carefully
  • I would be cautious given the similar numbers listed on the link below

http://checkwhocalled.co.uk/phone-number/08000294210
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    The op has not been back since February- this thread had been woken up for some reason
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    The op has not been back since February- this thread had been woken up for some reason

Chinabean did that.
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Chinabean did that.
    New poster arrives, revives long dead thread about a potential scam, but tells us it's all good and not to worry...

....my Scooby sense is tingling......:cool:
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Chinabean stated in an earlier post that the Remediation Team on Tel 0800 029 4212 is genuine.
    Unfortunately I have just received a letter (not Email) from the supposed Remediation Team concerning a credit to a credit card which I have been informed by the Nat West Credit Card does not belong to NAT WEST...... getting strange although NAT WEST's response was not really interested as clients receive these all the time !!!!!

Take your pick - I think Phishing
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    WOW Gismobo... you’re only about a year late to the party lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts