Grant of Probate.

Options
Hi folks,looking for some advice about obtaining a Grant of Probate folllowing my father's death. His estate passed directly to my mum but a lot of the bank accounts are in his name and the solicitor says we need to obtain one to hand to the various banks. Main problem is that he is quoting around £5000 to sort the whole thing out!!! Surely we can go to the various banks ourselves and inform them of his death and then if they need a Probate then we can apply ourselves? Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First off... Have you seen the official page?
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/applying-probate
  • Mr_Bun
    Mr_Bun Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    Hi RikM, yes was having a look at that. I think the solicitor is taking the absolute p..s !!! We are going to need to apply for Probate,was thinking of doing it myself....anyone ever done this before? Is it straightforward enough? We will contact all the banks and institutions he had accounts with ourselves and notify them of his death.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mr_Bun wrote: »
    Hi folks,looking for some advice about obtaining a Grant of Probate folllowing my father's death. His estate passed directly to my mum but a lot of the bank accounts are in his name and the solicitor says we need to obtain one to hand to the various banks. Main problem is that he is quoting around £5000 to sort the whole thing out!!! Surely we can go to the various banks ourselves and inform them of his death and then if they need a Probate then we can apply ourselves? Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Have you asked the banks themselves?

Many will hand over quite large sums without probate.
  • Mr_Bun
    Mr_Bun Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    Gonna make an appointment with them and see what they say.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mr_Bun wrote: »
    Gonna make an appointment with them and see what they say.

You'll need a death certificate and the will.

If they do release the money to you, they will want you to sign an indemnity form to cover themselves in case you're not entitled to claim it.
  • esson1
    esson1 Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can do it yourself
    .I did it
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    In most cases the probate application is quite straightforward. You just need to be organised with the paperwork.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,825 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There are also some knowlegdable people over on the 'Death, Funerals and Probate' board if you have any questions

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport