CCJ help

Options
Hi there,

A CCJ verdict was awarded against me last week because for some reason the court didn't receive the paperwork, even though I returned it.

It was awarded against me and the letter says that the amount is due "henceforth". The person said that if I don't pay today they will issue the CCJ, but I am not going to be able to and they will not wait.

I've been reading about the N245 form, so that I can ask to pay in instalments. How do I submit this and when, as I can't fully understand the information that I've seen online.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 September 2018 at 2:26PM
    Options
    KayPage wrote: »
    Hi there,

A CCJ verdict was awarded against me last week because for some reason the court didn't receive the paperwork, even though I returned it.

It was awarded against me and the letter says that the amount is due "henceforth". The person said that if I don't pay today they will issue the CCJ, but I am not going to be able to and they will not wait.

I've been reading about the N245 form, so that I can ask to pay in instalments. How do I submit this and when, as I can't fully understand the information that I've seen online.

Hi,

Download the form, you can fill it in online, when completed, print it off, follow the instructions, and return to the court ASAP along with the court fee of £50.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n245-application-for-suspension-of-a-warrant-and-or-variation-of-an-order

If your on a low income you may qualify for remission on the fee, fill this form in EX160, at the same time and return with the N245 :

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-help-with-court-and-tribunal-fees
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • KayPage
    Options
    Thank you. That really helps.

Kay
  • Just_Di
    Just_Di Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 September 2018 at 3:23PM
    Options
    KayPage wrote: »

This sounds like a Default Judgment (CCJ) because you missed a court deadline so the Claimant was able to enter Judgment against you (possibly online) resulting in a "forthwith" Order.

Was it your Acknowledgment of Service stating that you 'intend to defend all of the claim' which you sent in the post, or did you do that successfully online but were late filing your Defence? Or was it something else?

Do you have proof of posting or any other evidence that you had returned the relevant paperwork in case there's a slim chance you may be able to get the CCJ set-aside if there was an admin or procedural error?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you were told if your didn't pay today that they would issue a CCJ when you believe you already had a CCJ granted last week.

Would you have had a Defence to your claim if you had the opportunity to defend it?

You can make an Application to Vary the CCJ to an affordable amount, but I thought I should see if you have any other options.

Di
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport