Discretionary fund management

IFA firm now has a discretionary fm option. We can stay with our ‘balanced portfolio’ which will only be re-assessed and changed once a year (annual charge 0.75%) or go to discretionary where the portfolio of funds may be changed regularly and without our input. Sales pitch is that with brexit etc. Flexibility and speed and an expert in charge will be good. This comes at a cost (1%).

Is this a good idea?

Won’t each individual fund manager be doing this anyway? Will it be better than a balanced fund? Isn’t this just going to be a fund of funds.? Just an extra layer of cost which may or may not be 0.25% better than the balanced portfolio.

Thoughts welcome. My gut feeling is not to do it. Wife’s is to go for it. We are paying an advisor so we ought to take his advice is her thinking.

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Just after the Brexit vote there were a ton of so-called expert fund managers selling out of shares that had fallen. Very few buying in which would have been the better plan. Few would call me an expert but i was buying builders after mainline fund managers had sold/were selling. The only speed I saw then was panic, with few fund managers I recall reading about doing anythuing otehr than following the herd and selling up.

So yes I agree with you, indeed Id go further, not just the extra 0.25% but the cost of churn will likely lead to worse performance.

Why not split your funds 50/50 and see how it goes. But take it one step further. Take your 50% away away to a low cost SIPP reducing your costs to south of 0.5% and then see how the two compare. After all if you have a balanced portfolio you rebalance once a year you can do that yourself, no IFA needed.

Id bet big that over a decent timescale, say 5 years, that extra 0.5% is a big drag on performance.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Imnoexpert wrote: »
    Sales pitch is that with brexit etc. Flexibility and speed and an expert in charge will be good.

Total rubbish. If that's the sales pitch then I would tell them to forget it.

There is no evidence whatsoever that any discretionary fund manager can beat the market. Rapidly and flexibly churning the portfolio is more likely to add cost with no benefit.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am not a fan of DFMs. They add an extra layer of cost the investor whilst allowing the adviser to do less work. The returns on DFMs tends to be pretty naff.

In a nutshell, you are paying more for the adviser to do less work and you get lower returns.

You often find that IFA firms that start promoting DFMs usually follow up by dropping their IFA status and becoming FAs (or adding the dreaded Wealth managers to their tagline). it is the start of the slippery slope.

Having a portfolio on an advisory basis with a yearly review rather than DFM basis is perfectly fine.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Whilst usually in agreement with dunstonh, on this point I have an alternative view. I am a fan of DFMs in the right circumstances.

As an IFA, my main role is planning, cashflow modelling, looking for the correct products to mitigate taxation and hence improve long-term growth, balancing and reviewing client objectives and ensuring clients remain on track for their long-term goals. The underlying investment strategy comes secondary to all of that. None of my clients are choosing me as an adviser because of my fund-picking skills.

Although they are far from suitable for every client, I do use three DFMs reasonably regularly, which one depending on client objectives and attitude to risk. All three have consistently outperformed trackers, mixed asset funds and other DFMs in their respective areas. I have found their performance is strongest, when compared to their peers, in volatile and falling markets.

Yes, there is an additional cost. However, as always, it is the consistent net returns for a given risk level that is a deciding factor, not just the underlying cost.

I have respect for IFAs that run their own model portfolios, and do well with them, and it is something I have done in the past. However, I found that focusing a lot of time on these model portfolios took my time away from my key objective of financial planning for my clients.

In a nutshell, I find my clients using DFMs paying a little more, and in return they have more relevant work done for them, and they tend to see stronger net returns.

Each IFA will have different processes, investment strategies and planning techniques. What suits my clients may not suit another adviser's clients and vice versa.

As to which client would do best, those in DFMs or those not? I would expect if they are both using a decent IFA, then they will do better over the long-term than the vast majority of those not using a decent IFA, and they can argue about any minor differences in their happy and wealthy retirement.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • dunstonh
    I am a fan of DFMs in the right circumstances.

That is the problem when generalisations are made. There are always exceptions to the rule. I did start to add a caveat on my last post but then removed it. I should have kept it.

Last year, a DFM approached us offering 0.25% as the DFM cost. Their returns were better than VLS (which i consider as a benchmark nowadays). I gave them consideration but their returns were a bit lower than our model. So, we stuck with that.

My views on DFMs are perhaps tainted by the "Wealth managers" who put all their clients with the same DFM on the same platform with no off platform stuff or alternatives and still call themselves IFAs whilst charging large amounts themselves and using naff expensive DFMs (1% or thereabouts plus VAT on top) and gives lower performance. None of it done for any client benefit but done for their own laziness.

So, if you have researched the DFMs and can see they add value then my earlier response would be unfair in that scenario
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    with that.

My views on DFMs are perhaps tainted by the "Wealth managers" who put all their clients with the same DFM on the same platform with no off platform stuff or alternatives and still call themselves IFAs whilst charging large amounts themselves and using naff expensive DFMs (1% or thereabouts plus VAT on top) and gives lower performance. None of it done for any client benefit but done for their own laziness.

Those IFAs are the ones the OP, and others, need to be avoiding. They are not much more than appointed reps for the DFMs, and add very little value to clients.

Hopefully the FCA, who are constantly looking at whether individual IFA business are worthy of the title, will pull up those that aren't adequately fulfilling the "independent" part of their role.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • What dunstonh thinks about DFMs is the same as I think about IFAs.....so that makes me a power of two more dubious about DFMs than dunstonh.....multiple levels of outsourcing is a great way to shift responsibilities and increase costs.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • dunstonh
    What dunstonh thinks about DFMs is the same as I think about IFAs.....so that makes me a power of two more dubious about DFMs than dunstonh.....multiple levels of outsourcing is a great way to shift responsibilities and increase costs.

But we know you are cost focused and not returns focused. You would rather earn less knowing you have paid less. That is the choice you make.

HL published their top 10 selling funds today. Two of them are HL own brand funds which cost more alone (so platform cost to go on top) than the total ongoing charges of an IFA (fund, platform, adviser).

Taking an IFA out of the equation doesn't mean you will save money if you go and stick it in unsuitable investments or expensive, low-quality investments.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HappyHarry wrote: »
    As an IFA, my main role is planning, cashflow modelling, looking for the correct products to mitigate taxation and hence improve long-term growth, balancing and reviewing client objectives and ensuring clients remain on track for their long-term goals. The underlying investment strategy comes secondary to all of that. None of my clients are choosing me as an adviser because of my fund-picking skills.
    I have not used an IFA, but it amazes me that the IFA role does not normally include picking funds. If I did go to an IFA it would be because I wanted him/her to create a structured and balanced portfolio for me. It makes me wonder what chance have us DIYers got of doing a good job of creating a balanced portfolio with the right percentages in sectors and funds, if even IFAs are not experts in that field.
  • Thanks for your replies.

The IFA firm I am talking to is a large one. I suppose I would need to have confidence that the dfm would outperform the fixed portfolio, as well as say a vanguard fund of the same risk band, or some of the mixed asset funds. I’m not sure how measurable that would be. Fund performance is published but are IFA and dfm fund of funds? Can I compare Dunstone with Bowlhead:)

What irks me is that I was told that for 0.75 I was getting a portfolio chosen by experts and suitable for my needs. Now after several years I am told that this wasn’t quite the case, but for an extra 0.25% I can have what I was told I was getting before. Actually I’m just getting a different person managing the (already managed) unit trust funds. My wedge is so small and insignificant to this big firm that I’m not going to get anything specific to me am I.

I’m waiting to read the documentation so no decision made yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure