Money for car - loan or mortgage

Options
edallen41
edallen41 Posts: 11 Forumite
Hi,

Just hoping for a bit of advice on best option for purchasing a new car.

We are in the process of remortgaging at the moment and are about to submit an application. This is for £265k on a house valued at £500k (for personal reasons, this is not actually redeeming a current mortgage - repaying loan to mother in law who kindly helped us over the last year while we got settled with new jobs. She technically has a charge on the property which will be removed). This will be on a 5 year fix at 1.89%.

We also need a new car, for which we need £15k. We will be buying rather than PCP, lease or hire/purchase as we do not mind it being relatively recent used model and although we may change after 3-4 years, we feel we'd like the option to keep at that point and it seems much more cost-effective to have invested in ownership.

Our options are take out a £15k bank loan after the remortgage (looks like we could get around 3.3%). Or we could add £15k to the mortgage - if we did the latter, clearly this would raise our monthly payment, but we would endeavour to overpay as well, so that at the end of this fix period, we have paid off all of the additional £15k.

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are? Most articles on adding to mortgage for the purpose of a car do not factor in that we would overpay. Also, we're in the lucky position that it would have no impact on LTV on the mortgage. We do not have any concerns over being able to keep up with payments. We are remortgaging anyway, it just so happens to be a good time to change car also. Our broker has said there would be no problem in borrowing this additional £15k and this would still be the best mortgage option if we did so.

Would appreciate opinions.

Many thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you pay at least part of it from savings? How much are you currently saving per month? You could quickly rebuild savings from the amount you are saving on the loan.

Re a loan - have you tried an eligibility checker to see what kind of rate you may get?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's not quite loan advice, but I'd rather spend less on a car.

For £5000 vs £15000, you'd see first year depreciation of about £100 vs £300 a month.

The difference of interest on these between 1.9 and 3.3% is much smaller than that
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    It's not quite loan advice, but I'd rather spend less on a car.

For £5000 vs £15000, you'd see first year depreciation of about £100 vs £300 a month.

The difference of interest on these between 1.9 and 3.3% is much smaller than that

Here here, loads of cars available for £5k and if you buy right you can get something decent.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would 100% not be using credit to buy a car and paying it over 10/15/20/25 years whatever the percentage rate.

Get a 3 year loan MAXIMUM for the car if you mush spend £15K on one, that way when you come to sell it you will not be in a position that your still paying for something that you dont have.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless you are intending to pay off your mortgage within the 3/4 year ownership of the car, then you are missing the main flaw in your thinking: you will be paying interest on that £15K for years after you no longer own the car. It may well be cheaper than a loan or PCP per month, but not if you look at the total cost of the loan over x years, which is the only figure that matters.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • edallen41
    edallen41 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Just to be clear on this, as I stated in my original post, we will overpay to completely clear the additional borrowing by the end of the fix period (5 years - actually within 3 years). So we will not be paying the additional interest for the full duration of the mortgage. Looking at it like this, the borrowing is cheaper than borrowing at 3.3% over the same time frame on an unsecured loan, right?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    edallen41 wrote: »
    Just to be clear on this, as I stated in my original post, we will overpay to completely clear the additional borrowing by the end of the fix period (5 years - actually within 3 years). So we will not be paying the additional interest for the full duration of the mortgage. Looking at it like this, the borrowing is cheaper than borrowing at 3.3% over the same time frame on an unsecured loan, right?

You are free to do what you want, folk on here have given their opinions.

If your comparing a 1.89% secured borrowing loan against a 3.3% unsecured loan with the same term (3 years) then you dont need to come on here to ask which is cheaper just use an online calculator ( the difference in interest is about £450 which is insignificant in relation to the value of the car and compared to the cost of car ownership - if you really want to save money just buy a cheaper car which has been suggested), you just need to read the terms of the secured borrowing agreement for over payments and fees.

If you have no mortgage at the moment it doesnt sound like an extra £15K secured against your home is going to be an issue - its just the unknowns that you errrr dont know - death/illness/separation/job loss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure