Pension Options

Options
Hi

I have a self-employed pension that has been running for over 30 years. During the past few years, I have been able to make some significant lump sum contributions which have eased my tax liability. I am not ready for cashing in yet but maybe in about 2 or 3 years. I know I can buy an annuity and I also know I can take 25% tax-free.

Assuming I don't go down the annuity route and I take my 25% what are the popular options for the balance of the pot.

J

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can make an appointment with Pension Wise for an explanation of your options.

https://www.pensionwise.gov.uk/en
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not ready for cashing in yet but maybe in about 2 or 3 years. I know I can buy an annuity and I also know I can take 25% tax-free.

There are a number of other options as well.

Pensionwise is your best bet at this stage. However, do note that they will not give advice. They will cover a number of the generic options. They will also not take into account market variations or commercial arrangements. i.e. providers with unique functions/ability or an option that viable when you talk generically but not when you consider the market. However, it is a good starting point.

I personally find that I am using phased flexi access drawdown the most. However, the stats overall show flexi-access drawdown being the most popular. Although there is a lot of concern that a high number of people are using the wrong method, particularly on the DIY market, and the FCA is looking at ways to address this. So, you need to really ignore what may be "popular". You need to focus on what is right for you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • segovia
    segovia Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    You can make an appointment with Pension Wise for an explanation of your options.

Thanks, a good place to start.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    I personally find that I am using phased flexi access drawdown the most. However, the stats overall show flexi-access drawdown being the most popular. Although there is a lot of concern that a high number of people are using the wrong method, particularly on the DIY market, and the FCA is looking at ways to address this. So, you need to really ignore what may be "popular". You need to focus on what is right for you.

I (think!) I understand “flexi-access drawdown”.....but what do you mean by a “phased” one? (google hasn’t really helped me!)
    Thx!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 9:52AM
    Options
    I think the difference is between crystallizing all or part of your pot, at which point you take 25% tax free as a lump and the remainder of the crystallized part is taxable when you take income from it, or taking what they call UFPLS withdrawals where you do not crystallize any part of the pot but take an amount out and 25% of that amount is assumed to be tax free. The risk with the first approach is that the crystallized fund could grow but you have used all of your 25% tax free, whereas with the UFPLS method your total tax free amount could be higher (assuming the fund grows).

I shall be doing that before my SP kicks in, I will take an UFPLS withdrawal so that I don't pay any tax. This means you can effectively withdraw the personal allowance plus 25% without paying tax. Of course you have to be over 55 to do that (and not receiving other taxable income).

I think that may be the difference in terminology but TBH I am not familiar with the term phased drawdown either. I hope I haven't missed something....
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All it means is that instead of "crystallising" your entire pension fund in one go, you phase the crystallisation over a number of years.....say 25% of the original pot value each year for 4 years, or 20% over 5 yrs...or whatever you like really....and so on

If the uncystallised pot grows, you can end up with a bit more tax free cash when you do crystallise it (and vice-versa), and it avoids the possible headache of what to do with a large lump sum payment in a single tax year.

If the pot is small, possible "benefit crystallisation" charges could make a dent though, so you have to weigh things up - but that depends on the platform you are using really.....
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phased flexi-access drawdown is popular with advisers but seems to be less common with DIY (based only on what i read here). Phased drawdown has existed for over a decade.

Its mostly covered in the posts above but the most common method is to have the income paid with 25% tax free and 75% taxable. Rather than take the 25% up front. Phasing allows you to have a greater income tax free. Not waste your 25% lump sum if you dont need any money at the start (as its always available to take later). And if you a drawing down an amount that could see the fund value grow, the ability to take a greater tax free lump sum later on.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure