What are the cheapest alternatives to disposable plastic straws?

Options
MSE_Sarah
MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 1 July 2019 at 4:03PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Disposable plastic straws could soon be banned in England in an effort to try to cut down on the amount of plastic we throw away. Yet for all sorts of reasons, many of us like (and even need) to use some form of straw - whether due to disability or simply wanting to protect our teeth.

Read the full blog: Plastic straws could be banned – so what are the cheapest alternatives?
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You can buy a set of 8, 2 small (215mm) straight, 2 large straight, 2 small bent and 2 long (265mm) bent with 2 cleaning brushes for £9.99 on Amazon (yes I know that is controversial in it's own right) but you can buy them for simular prices in other places.
    Bamboo is another option, 14 20cm straws with 2 cleaning brushes for £9.99 Amazon. Again can buy same kind of price in other places.

I know they are plastic but for home we have cups with inbuilt straw. Saves on straws at home and as they are plastic they weigh less for me than a glass as sometimes my disability means I drop things, especially when they are heavier.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Drinking straight from the cup is free...
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you not still find waxed paper straws ?
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    Can you not still find waxed paper straws ?
    To answer my own question, Amazon sell 150 paper straws for £2.50. Not the sort of thing I ever buy so no idea whether that's a good price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drinking-Rainbow-Everyday-Wedding-Celebration/dp/B01JS212RK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1533715997&sr=8-5&keywords=waxed+paper+straws
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If I take the above so 4 packs is equivalent to the examples of cost for reusable I had. That gives 600 staws. Not even 2 years worth for everyday use for one person. Yet two people could easily share the reusable examples I gave; metal would have 1 of each of the straw types and a cleaning brush each, while for bamboo they would have a straw for each day each and a cleaning brush each. So in that scenario for two people it won't even be a year of straw use for one use paper.
    You will get many years out of each reusable straw. Paper staws still use resorces and from trees that take a long time to grow. Yes it's more sustainable and less damaging than plastic but one use is still bad.

So the metal and bamboo options are better cost wise. That and they only have to be produced less and are less damaging.
    Certainly bamboo is good as it is a when they grow they aid the environment in air quality, it is rather fast growing (1-5 years depending on it's use) so more sustainable, little waste when made into things, no chemicals are needed to grow it, it protects soil etc. That and if the item breaks beyond repair it is completely biodegradable to boot.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Reusable straws, even as a kid I had a plastic resuable one and I am sure my mom still has it!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    Silicone reusable straws. The outlay may seem expensive but they will last so long as silicone lasts - who knows, but I've used mine regularly and put them in the dishwasher to clean them. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reusable-Silicone-Straws-BPA-Free/dp/B07586KPKV/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1534874649&sr=1-5&keywords=reusable+silicone+straws
  • lesbro
    lesbro Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We use plastic straws as we have a large packet for the grandchildren, but we wash them and put in the re-cycling.
  • mdjuergens
    mdjuergens Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How often do you actually NEED a straw?
    Ever wondered why they are called "straw"?
  • Piddles
    Piddles Posts: 123 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2019 at 3:42PM
    Options
    Went a wedding in Italy last week and they used pasta. Worked really well. Totally neutral tasting.

Presumably you can just rinse them and cook them for your next meal.

So....FREE!

Ocado do them, search for De Cecco Bucatini 500g, 3 for £3. Money saving and planet saving in one go!

Penne for your thoughts??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport