LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Options

Comments

• lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hahaha Scott I'm actually still suffering today.... I think it was all the stairs :o They were more than half the size of my legs so I was having to leap up them haha. Tomorrow I will just be resting (again) ... Don't wanna end up going off to Arran and being too sore still.

Last day of work done for 8 whole days :cool:
    Sorted a packing list and was asking OH what waterproof he's going to take and he doesn't want to :eek: he thinks a hoodie will be fine. It's going to rain three days that we're there and we're planning on doing loads of walks/ climbing the Goat Fell so unsure how he thinks he'll be fine in a hoodie BUT I don't want to nag him.

I'm just worried as if he gets cold/ wet/ uncomfortable he's going to get grouchy and moan at me. Which will not make the trip vey pleasant for either of us :o

I'm quite practical and he's very easy breezy and I think there's more friction than normal for some reason. We went to boots as I wanted to get first aid supplies and he made me feel like a looney for wanting to buy antiseptic cream/ plasters etc. I just feel like I would rather have stuff and never need it than either one of us takes a fall/ hurts ourselves and we don't have anything.

I also just bought him some quite expensive walking shoes so his feet are more comfy (he gets bad blisters too) and he isn't very appreciative. I think he's just getting used to me getting stuff for him and I don't want him to get too comfy or he'll never actually properly look for a job.

Anyway... Grumble over. Just feeling a bit on edge I think and OH not helping :o

Tonight I want to find some new books to put on my Kindle so will faff around online for a bit then think OH wants to watch some more Game of Thrones. It's the first time I'm re-watching Season 1 again and it's so fast paced, it's really good. The newer seasons seem to take ages to get going but this one is straight into it.

Tomorrow
    1. Laundry
    2. Hoover
    3. Pack
    4. Update Spreadsheet
    5. Snoop on Diaries
    6. Aldi or Asda for snacks (breakfast bars/ nuts etc.)

Happy Sunday everyone.
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    I think I will pack his waterproof in my backpack and just not tell him :cool: That way if he needs it he can have it but he'll have to admit I was right first :rotfl:
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would definitely take a waterproof even in summer. The weather is very unpredictable. And you are quite right tot take medicines, snacks, etc. It's an island and can be expensive for things like that. I think people sometimes underestimate the lack of shops in rural type areas. We had a friend who went to Barra where her husband had been born and she asked where the nearest M & S was. Inverness?
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Toni'sfriend - thanks for backing me up haha! Exactly right... I dont want to risk it weather-wise or end up relying on shops there too much for stuff. I just like being prepared :o Just faffing around now waiting till I can wake up OH then will get on with the day. So, so happy that I'm off work for the indefinite. I feel very free which is nice... Despite my grumble yesterday I feel like things are on the up mood-wise (hopefully).

To Do:
    1. Laundry
    Got a load on now (full of OH's clothes). Will be done in 5 mins then will put in the tumble. Not pegging out weather unfortunately.
    2. Hoover
    OH will do this later. One thing I really dislike doing is hoovering and I'm very lucky that he usually agrees to do it :o
    3. Pack
    Have found my old 50L backpack in the shed so need to give that a bit of an air out/ clean. I wrote a list of stuff to pack so once the bag is less foosty and OH's clothes are dry I'll crack on with that.
    [STRIKE]4. Update Spreadsheet
    [/STRIKE]Did this when I woke up - feeling very organised and calm money-wise. Transferred Arran spending out of my savings into my current so we are good to go.
    5. Snoop on Diaries
    Will have a nosey this evening :)
    6. Aldi or Asda for snacks (breakfast bars/ nuts etc.)
    Going to wake up OH at 12 and then jump to the shops and get snacks.
    :T
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Great to hear your mood is on the up.

The calm that descends when the money situation is going according to plan is lovely isn't it? So much better than the panic and fire fighting when there is no plan!

Have a good day :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 August 2018 at 2:29PM
    Options
    Wow! I turn away for a or two day and come back and find 18 unread posts!:DHappy first birthday. Mine will be end of November.
    Ah,Scottish weather. I once went youth hosteling in my schooldays,think I was 17,one of the happiest memories I have. The first week it rained unceasingly,the second we were burned to a crisp!
    But all that walking in the rain for 4 or 5 hours a day made our skins beautifully soft.Perhaps we were waterlogged!Yep,definitely take the waterproofs:rotfl:
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Doingitanyway I'm glad too :o The calm is lovely... I allowed us more spending money this month than usual (but siphoned some into savings for Arran) and it's seemed a lot easier. Can't wait until OH gets a job though... Then things will definitely be on the up.

Thanks Dusty! A year... Feels pretty crazy. OH has relented and has agreed to a waterproof so I am happy. He won't bring any trousers though, only shorts. We have midgie spray but don't know how reliable it will be... If he gets his legs bitten then that's on him. Have told him I will accept no moaning :o Haha Dusty that's Scottish weather down to a T... You can have four seasons all in one day :rotfl: I hope if it is raining a lot my skin gets nice and soft too....

Have now packed and our room is lovely and clean so feeling relaxed. OH dad will drop us at the station tomorrow so don't need to walk which is nice.

Will not be on while we're away .... So happy money-saving everyone and will check in when we're back :o xx
  • Scott-Weiland
    Options
    lonelyrat wrote: »
    Doingitanyway I'm glad too :o The calm is lovely... I allowed us more spending money this month than usual (but siphoned some into savings for Arran) and it's seemed a lot easier. Can't wait until OH gets a job though... Then things will definitely be on the up.

Thanks Dusty! A year... Feels pretty crazy. OH has relented and has agreed to a waterproof so I am happy. He won't bring any trousers though, only shorts. We have midgie spray but don't know how reliable it will be... If he gets his legs bitten then that's on him. Have told him I will accept no moaning :o Haha Dusty that's Scottish weather down to a T... You can have four seasons all in one day :rotfl: I hope if it is raining a lot my skin gets nice and soft too....

Have now packed and our room is lovely and clean so feeling relaxed. OH dad will drop us at the station tomorrow so don't need to walk which is nice.

Will not be on while we're away .... So happy money-saving everyone and will check in when we're back :o xx

Haha buy him some citronella buggy stuff the bugs wont go near him and neither will you probably lol
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a lovely time, Lonelyrat.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hope you're having a lovely time xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills