MSE Poll: What percentage of your salary do you save into a pension?

Poll started 17 July 2018

What percentage of your salary do you save into a pension?

In the last few years up to 10 million more people have started saving into private pensions due to auto-enrolment.

So we wanted to know how much you AND/OR your employer (where relevant) contribute towards your pension.

Please select the CLOSEST option to the total contributions being made to a private pension this tax year.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There's no option for "I don't have any pension provision whatsoever".
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Aged 44 and save 18% (5% from me and 13% from employer). Have been pension saving since I was 20 so doing alright so not concerned about my financial future in retirement. I also review my funds once a year and have kept a spreadsheet since 2011 of their performance. It has been very straight forward.
  • why no option for "never had a private pension and never will"?????

if you think I'm going to pay money into a scheme that is going to rip me off, think again.

how many times have government backed schemes backfired? far too many

Stocks and shares notoriously are dodgy to invest in. Supposing you just happen to retire when there's yet another big slump? you'll be screwed for years, at least and possibly forever.

No way would I do that.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Just over 9% from me and matched by my employer.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Senseicads
    Senseicads Posts: 203
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I can contribute up to 5%, this is matched by my employer by percentage. so if I put in 3% they also put in 3%. however it does come with some nice bonuses...if you put in the full 5% you get an additional 5% bonus on top for a full 15%. Then each year you have worked there, as long as you are putting in the full 5% you get a bonus percentage point up to 5%. So for my measily 5% contribution I get a 20% payment into my pension. I don't know how this stacks up against other companies if I am being honest but for me it seems like a really good pension. I can make additional contributions too but these are not matched. I can also sacrifice my yearly bonus into the pension also.
  • Aged 44 and save 18% (5% from me and 13% from employer). Have been pension saving since I was 20 so doing alright so not concerned about my financial future in retirement. I also review my funds once a year and have kept a spreadsheet since 2011 of their performance. It has been very straight forward.

That's a very generous employer you have there!
  • deanp85
    deanp85 Posts: 6 Forumite
    So if you're not paying a pension, and you're not managing your own stocks portfolio... then what are you doing to invest in your retirement?

I know there's many options obviously, P2P lending, property, stamp collecting etc.

Just curious.
  • Nullboris
    Nullboris Posts: 62 Forumite
    Not contributing as not working, unlikely I will work again @ 60+ ill health, small pensions accruing about £20k .. the only hope left is an inheritance .
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    I am at the drawing out stage of my life and enjoying every minute of it :D

When I was contributing, I saved 11% of my salary and my employer put in their maximum of 8%
  • swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 849
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    My employer pays 18% into my DB Scheme and 1% into my DC scheme
    I pay 8% into my DB Scheme and 25% into my DC Scheme
    Total of 52% of my salary currently going into my pension.
    I want to retire early lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport