Making an allegation of bullying.

Options
Hi,

I recently quit my job and a bullying incident was an aggravating factor. So I wrote a letter intending to post it to the top manager at the site and the CEO explaining what happened and how I think you need to be careful with this individual because I can be sure it will happen again to someone else. Anyway I was about to post it off and I bumped into someone I know that works there and told them what I was going to do and I was surprised to hear from this person that I could be sued. I was like 'eh'? All I was doing was putting down on paper what had happened to me and I included some extra information to support my allegation. It's not like the whole site will see it just the top boss.

Does he have a point?

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well anyone can sue anyone else for anything. it's just weather they will win.

As long as what you say if provable truth then you are ok.

Although only going to be productive if you know these people might care. If they are not they may try action just to be spiteful.

And often the person with the best lawyer will win, which is why I said provable.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you were still working there and you had made a complaint about bullying, it could have been investigated. But you have left and so it's too late. Tear up the letter and move on with your life.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have raised it whilst there. Now I think the letter will be opened by the PA, a n other, and binned.

I wouldn't bother.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Getting_By_2
    Getting_By_2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi.

I did make a complaint, it wasn't handled correctly and what followed was even worse - I was slandered by the bully.

I want to post the letter. Is there anything I could put in the letter to cover my backside such as "in my opinion" etc etc?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would write your letter to the CEO, and CC HR. I would not send it to the site manager. If the CEO feels they need to see it, they will pass it to them, and it will have much more weight coming from the CEO.

I would not put "In my opinion" as your opinion is almost certain to be libelous. Stick to the facts. Explain your story again. Explain how it made you feel. Explain why you are writing - to protect others. Make it clear you don't need a reply. You really don't need one. If they take action, great; if they don't, you don't want to know this as it will upset you further. As has been said, you need to move on. Write the letter if this helps get it off your chest.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Getting_By wrote: »
    I want to post the letter. Is there anything I could put in the letter to cover my backside such as "in my opinion" etc etc?

"In my opinion" does not "cover your backside"!

It says that you believe what you are writing is a fair assessment of the situation. But your assessment of the situation could be flawed and your letter could thus be potentially libellous.

You will personally gain nothing by sending this letter and it is extremely unlikely to achieve anything positive, quite possibly the reverse. It will probably be treated as from a "disgruntled ex-employee". I can only repeat my advice to tear up the letter.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    I would not put "In my opinion" as your opinion is almost certain to be libelous.

I like the rest of your post, except for this.

A basic definition of "libel" is:

"a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation."

Not convinced that holding an "opinion" which is based around factual information constitutes being libelous, but without evidence to back up your opinion it could lead to libel claims.

One possible avenue for OP would be to explore the concept of constructive dismissal - OP's post does suggest they've effectively had a complaint mis-handled and has felt that the only option was to resign immediately. I'm no expert on the subject by any means, but contacting ACAS could well be a good shout to see if OP potentially qualifies for this. It won't lead to much (I don't think), but it would go some way to providing you with some recompense.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve by making these allegations?

The reason I ask is I wonder if there is a regulatory body for the company that treated you badly. Would a letter to such a body, stating what happened and that you are not looking for redress, you are simply wanting to raise awareness of what went on, make you feel better? Or are you looking for some other outcome?
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

I recently quit my job and a bullying incident was an aggravating factor. So I wrote a letter intending to post it to the top manager at the site and the CEO explaining what happened and how I think you need to be careful with this individual because I can be sure it will happen again to someone else. Anyway I was about to post it off and I bumped into someone I know that works there and told them what I was going to do and I was surprised to hear from this person that I could be sued. I was like 'eh'? All I was doing was putting down on paper what had happened to me and I included some extra information to support my allegation. It's not like the whole site will see it just the top boss.

Does he have a point?

Probably not, but look again at your motivation. Normally people who 'don't want this to happen to anyone else' translates as 'I'm disgruntled it happened to me and I want everyone to know that'.

Putting it bluntly, it's none of your concern, so why expose yourself to possible repercussions on behalf of these hypothetical 'others' ?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,749 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wrote a letter intending to post it to the top manager at the site and the CEO explaining what happened and how I think you need to be careful with this individual because I can be sure it will happen again to someone else. You can be sure...how, exactly? Anyway I was about to post it off and I bumped into someone I know that works there and told them what I was going to do and I was surprised to hear from this person that I could be sued. I was like 'eh'? All I was doing was putting down on paper what had happened to me and I included some extra information to support my allegation. Your 'allegation' - that's what you needed to make while you were an employee. Why add extra information now rather than when you made your complaint? It's not like the whole site will see it just the top boss. and the CEO, according to your post

Does he have a point? Why take the risk? Your letter won't achieve anything

It's for the employer to look after their employees; nothing to do with you. Move on.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure