PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How MSE is your chilli plant?

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    fuddle wrote: »
    Chillis are self pollinating so they have both the male and female parts within one flower. They have to be able to touch though so what I do is just give any flowering greenery a bit of a shake to loosen.

As your plant has been under stress (too hot) then it's likely the stress has halted flowering.
    As fuddle says, just give the flowers a gentle shake to pollinate. Are you feeding your plant? Tomato food will be fine.
    I did some re-potting earlier and saw the first glimpses of some new flowers, lots of them!

Can't wait to start counting again :T
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    grunnie wrote: »
    I got a free chilli plant a few years ago. I had hundreds of chillis from it and it was really wasted on me as I can't eat spicy or hot food so I dried them all. Laid them out in the conservatory and they dried in the heat. Then I filled a glass vase and put them on my kitchen windowsill and they looked very decorative. Along came daughter in law number 2 and off they went home with her.
    I have a recipe you might like!

1) Slice a chilli down it's length
    2) Add it to a stiff G&T
    3) Drink :beer:

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I love growing chillies and have got three on the go this year - Hungarian Black, Chocolate Habanero and Jalapeno. I'm particularly fond of the Hungarian Black just because it sounds like a breed of dragon from Harry Potter :) I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with them all though as the Hungarian Black has already got loads of small chillies on it. I tend to freeze quite a lot and last year I roasted all of my green chillies, peel them (sort of ...) and made a green chilli enchilada sauce by cooking off some onion, garlic and Mexican oregano, adding the chopped, roasted chillies and a bit of flour and then thickening it up with chicken stock, before squizzing it up with a stick blender. Fortunately the chillies weren't too hot and it actually was really good when I mixed it with shredded chicken and used it in enchiladas.
  • tulip12
    tulip12 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    fatbelly wrote: »
    They're pretty good with heat but a shut-up conservatory can reach ridiculous temperatures.

They seem happy at 20-30 degrees C

I am growing jalapeno chilli plants in pots this year for the first time as we love spicy foods :)They appear to be doing well at the moment
    but i'm unsure as to whether they would do best in my small green house with door left open or on a sunny patio with the temperatures being as they are at the moment. Any info great fully appreciated thanks.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mine was 50p off the car boot and the last one lasted a couple of years. Hoping this'll be the same so I'm quids in already. Mine lives outside in a sunny spot in the summer because it gets whitefly in my small back porch then I bring it in for the winter
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • VfM4meplse
    tulip12 wrote: »
    but i'm unsure as to whether they would do best in my small green house with door left open or on a sunny patio with the temperatures being as they are at the moment. Any info great fully appreciated thanks.
    Patio, patio, patio!

And whatever you do keep them away from a glass-y environment until the temperatures drop significantly. I'm pretty sure the temperature in my conservatory beats 40°C regularly.

• tulip12
    tulip12 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Thanks for your advice. I will leave them on the patio as it gets a lot of sun. Was just a bit wary of temperatures being a bit cool for the plants during the night time. Hopefully I will start to see some chillis soon!! :)
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 July 2018 at 9:55AM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Patio, patio, patio!

And whatever you do keep them away from a glass-y environment until the temperatures drop significantly. I'm pretty sure the temperature in my conservatory beats 40°C regularly.

Mine seem to be doing ok in the greenhouse, but I have got the doors and windows permanently open at the moment. Tbh it'd probably be hotter on my patio at the moment as my greenhouse does get a bit of shade later in the day. I struggled a lot to get the chillies started, something really liked the baby habanero chilli plants and I lost all but one. I hope that whatever it was got horrible indigestion :) What the chillies do seem to like is lots of space - the jalapeno that I've got in a bigger pot is doing significantly better than the 'spare' ones I've still got in smaller pots. I must take those in to work next week to see if anyone wants them.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    The temperature in my greenhouse has been reaching 49.9C and that is with being hosed down inside and out. I think I will move my chilli outside during the day as it really is too hot and dry in the long term. I used some chillis out of the freezer last night and realised they have been there for two years. A little chilli goes a long way so I will be giving a lot away this year!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As elsian touched upon, you can with a bit of care overwinter chilli plants.
    I had the same one for 4 years, but it then stopped producing the goods, and so we let it slip away to the great compost heap in the sky :(
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport