PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Just finished a month of living on half the grocery bill we are used to. Dropped over £100 a week and had to make drastic changes, and glad to say it has worked and I'm reasonably happy. Menu plans helped a lot, and the cupboards/freezer did the rest. Still not hit the bottom of freezer yet.
    Only prob has been having to drop home delivery online shopping - I find it hard getting round a whole big supermarket at any time and now with the shoulder/arm out of action it will be worse. But then that's why we keep husbands eh ;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    mardatha wrote: »
    Just finished a month of living on half the grocery bill we are used to. Dropped over £100 a week and had to make drastic changes, and glad to say it has worked and I'm reasonably happy. Menu plans helped a lot, and the cupboards/freezer did the rest. Still not hit the bottom of freezer yet.
    Only prob has been having to drop home delivery online shopping - I find it hard getting round a whole big supermarket at any time and now with the shoulder/arm out of action it will be worse. But then that's why we keep husbands eh ;)
    :p Yeah, since they abolished slavery, one has to make do as best one can with hubbies as pack mules, hey? :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Crikey ladies He Who Knows is ALLERGIC to shopping! are you trying to kill him off?
  • Money_mess
    Money_mess Posts: 56 Forumite
    Thanks Capella. I hadn't thought of a first aid kit at the allotment though I had thought I need to take sun cream to take and leave there. Will get that sorted. In fact I got stung by some nettles last week and wished I had some antihistamine cream there. As hadn't done my kit for the car yet.

A friend of mine told me she has an app with photos of all her important documents on, I think i need to look into that . She has her daughter's prescriptions on there which would be a good idea for me as my daughter has asthma.

We have quite a few blankets and we have torches. A few in the house and two in the car. I need to make a box of winter prep like hot water bottles, candles, matches.
    It's a case of doing it gradually but we will get there.
  • Physical photocopies in a waterproof packet inside a fireproof box would be more useful than a phone ap, what if the electricity was out and your phone ran out of battery life and your power pack had all been used up? Much better to have actual copies of important documentation to hand.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 July 2018 at 7:10PM
    Crikey ladies He Who Knows is ALLERGIC to shopping! are you trying to kill him off?
    :D He is cast from the same mould as me, then. After shopping for a computer and a phone in the same week, I still feel so rattled that I need to go on a retreat. Or take a sauna to get the Shopping Germs off me.

I told my friendly neighbourhood chazzer manager that I'd had to go into New Shops and buy New Things. He widened his eyes in horror and shared a commiserating shudder at the horror of it.:rotfl:

ETA; Hi and welcome aboard, Money-mess. I'd second MrsLW's comment about hardcopies. Smartphones are energy hogs and you easily could end up with your phone off due to a flat battery, or otherwise lost/stolen/broken and then you'd be stuffed. On UK Preppers, I think it was, someone was posting about being snowed in on a main road earlier this year. He had a powerbank to supply extra charge to his phone and was able to charge other motorists' phones up for them.

A button phone will hold a charge for a long time compared to these energy hogging smartphones and you could still use it to call for assistance/ ring your rellies and assure them you're OK, just delayed.

I think it's a good idea to have hardcopy of anything important, and a duplicate hardcopy off-site for valuable and irreplacable documents. We hope you never lose your home to fire or flood but having your docs backed up the old fashioned way could be invaluable. If you have receipts and photos of your possessions off site, it will be a lot easier fpr proof-of-loss for an insurance claim, too.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't often go shopping as OH likes doing it. He has a list. The list is organised not in categories of items needed but in the order in which he travels around the sm and this seems to work well until the sm inevitably reorganises stock at which point he becomes crabby in the extreme. I just whizz in from time to time to check out the Y'S bits, also to get what he was too crabby to find post reorganisation.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Himself claims to hate supermarkets, but that fortunately will not kill him when the offspring have sprung off.

I might, but prepping includes a robust alibi.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2018 at 2:48PM
    Just as a heads up UK supermarkets are recalling packets of frozen vegetables due to concerns over listeria. I'll go try find a link.

UK supermarkets recall frozen vegetables over listeria outbreak fears | The Independent https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/aldi-lidl-iceland-sainsburys-tesco-waitrose-recall-frozen-vegetables-listeria-outbreak-a8434571.html
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Recently my 2% five year fixed savings account at the Halifax matured, and they asked would I like another fix at 0.55%. Err, no, I'll have my money back please. I completed the form & sent it off, and received a further letter from Halifax this week. They claimed that 'They did not have my signature on record, so could I go into my local branch and take my id?'

Bit frustrated, but I cooperated on Wednesday and paid £1.70 for an hour's parking.

The branch were mystified by the id request when I told them I'd had the account for 5 years. They were unable to send the money to my bank whose details I gave them on my form, and said I would have to take a cheque.

A further faff about, and finally I walked out of there with a bank draft. I immediately posted it to my bank, but they say they did not receive it.

!!!!!!? I think I'm going to have to sue someone if it does not show up soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure