Indigowarrior's journey to financial peace

indigowarrior
indigowarrior Posts: 745 Forumite
edited 6 July 2018 at 2:39PM in Debt free diaries
I have chosen a new diary as I am in a new part of my life. I currently owe £10K to different creditors and I want to start dealing with them one step at time. I also need to start saving for when I leave supported accommodation.

I dont work at the moment due to physical health problems and serious mental health problems. It makes budgetting and life very difficult.

My debts as current are:
Tesco-£120
Nat West £103.00
BPO 123.49 (Payment Plan of £20 per month)
Tesco Mobile £176.71
Tesco Mobile £211.94
Three £224.88
Council Tax £450 (Payment Plan of £50 per month)
Vodafone £244.95
Tesco Mobile £282.50
Vanquis £300.00
EE £318.00
Orange £402.37
O2 £404.00
Talk Talk £448.00
Virgin £510.00
02 £646.25
Simply Be £850
TalkTalk £837.95
BT £1100 (Payment plan of £25)
Lloyds £1780
Total; £9358

However before I begin attacking the debt and getting the EF together I need to start just paying the minimums and saving for four walls.
I am hoping to stay at supported accommodation until November the earliest. Which will give me 5 months to get sorted. Thankfully my living costs are very low.

Living Costs
Rent: £100
Food: £150
Transport: £20
Eating Out: £20
Tesco Mobile: £30
Entertainment: £10
Cashplus: £5.95
Total: £317

It leaves me quite a bit a money each month really :o
Hopefully I can stay well and start doing this. I just need to believe it.
No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134

Comments

• Best of luck! How are you structuring your days at the moment? Anything you can add to keep yourself on track?
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 July 2018 at 8:50AM
    Just popping in to say hello. Indigo. I'm sure there will be lots of people here who will be able to give you tips and show you the best way to go about tackling this.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    What is cashplus? Do you not have to pay towards gas electric or water in supported accommodation?

As you say those outgoings are low. How much income do you receive? I would suggest you save something into emergency savings as well as towards your debts.

Do any of the debts charge interest? That will help you decide what to tackle first. There are a lot of phone company debts there. Are these defaulted contracts? Have you developed a strategy now for not running up large phone billsor are you now on PAYG?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • indigowarrior
    Thank you to you both. Welcome :) I have 15 days till the next payday and about £58 in my purse. I do have a fully stocked cupboard and semi stocked freezer. So need to tighten my belt. Also ramp up the No Spend Days as well.

Glendasugarbean My days depend on how unwell I am and what has happened. I hate committing to much as its unpredictable with how I will be.
  • indigowarrior
    What is cashplus? Do you not have to pay towards gas electric or water in supported accommodation?

As you say those outgoings are low. How much income do you receive? I would suggest you save something into emergency savings as well as towards your debts.

Do any of the debts charge interest? That will help you decide what to tackle first. There are a lot of phone company debts there. Are these defaulted contracts? Have you developed a strategy now for not running up large phone billsor are you now on PAYG?

Entusiasticsaver welcome. Cashplus is my creditbuilder. I pay £6 a month to "improve" my credit score. It has gone up twice since I started. The £100 a month service charge covers all rent. All my debts are mainly defaulted contracts. I have now capped my bill with Tesco and it generally doesnt go over £30. Unfortunately I cant find a pay as you go tariff to suit my needs. As I use a lot of internet.

I only have one debt that is climbing and that is simplybe. I am going to work on clear that off.

I am embarrassed to say how much benefit I get as I am worried I will get judged.
  • Toni'sfriend
    I am embarrassed to say how much benefit I get as I am worried I will get judged.
    No one will judge you here. We are all here to help in any way we can and if you were not entitled to the benefit you would not be getting it. It is fine if you don't want to say but it might help with advising how to sort your debts out.
  • indigowarrior
    No one will judge you here. We are all here to help in any way we can and if you were not entitled to the benefit you would not be getting it. It is fine if you don't want to say but it might help with advising how to sort your debts out.
    Thank you Toni
    I get £621 UC (I get the LCWRA element and not able to work at the moment) and £433 PIP. I have been tested over this and they were confident I was eligible for it but I struggle due to peoples opinion on benefits.
  • Toni'sfriend
    I struggle due to peoples opinion on benefits.
    Their opinions don't matter so try not to worry about what other people think.
    I'm not an expert so I won't suggest how you should tackle this but there are a lot of people here who will give you very good advice. I'm sure this can and will be fixed.
  • Sod what people think! I'm pleased you are getting the support you need.
  • indigowarrior
    Thank you lovely ladies.
    Meet up with my friend who kindly paid for coffee and chips. I have calculated I have £3 a day to last me. So I have put the £3 saved today in my savings. I meet up with the social worker and handed over pictures for the girls life story work which was very difficult. Rest of the day is chilling and relaxing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport