Am I the only one who thinks it isn't right...

Options
Oakdene
Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
Basically my ex wife & I have 2 children, our daughter (13) lives with me & our son (10) lives with her. We split the care 50:50, as in our kids spend every weekend & all school holidays together.

We both work & she has re-married. Her husband works as a social worker. Most people in this situation, i.e. with care of one child each, would not bother with maintenance as it's swings & roundabouts. However we do, I pay £130 a month (direct into her account) & she pays me £75 a month (which is actually £90 as she uses CMS collect & pay despite me giving my bank details to her).

My son came over the other weekend & said that 'Mum is going to college to re-train' (currently works in admin). So when I saw her next I asked, with genuine interest what she was re-training in & she said nursing hopefully. She then said that as of September, her maintenance payments would be stopping as she won't be working at all. I didn't say anything apart from 'Ok'.

Am I wrong in thinking that it is a little unfair that I will be the only one paying maintenance now, especially given that I am (very happily) single & she has re-married (to someone who earns a good fair whack more than me)?
Dwy galon, un dyhead,
Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
Dau enaid ond un taith.

Comments

• Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What her husband earns is irrelevant because they are your children and not his.

It would be nice if people acted in a fair way but they don't
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nannytone wrote: »
    What her husband earns is irrelevant because they are your children and not his.

It would be nice if people acted in a fair way but they don't

I do see what you mean by this but by the same token why should the amount of maintenance I receive from her be reduced because she has decided to have another child?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    I do see what you mean by this but by the same token why should the amount of maintenance I receive from her be reduced because she has decided to have another child?

You said she is retraining not having another child
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    You said she is retraining not having another child

Yes she is retraining. The amount of maintenance she pays me was reduced when she had a child with her new husband 2 years ago.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • BAFE
    BAFE Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You expect another man to pay for your children?
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The issue is that you both only have your non resident children (who live with the other parent ) weekends and holidays and not 50/50 day to day care. You’d need to have them 3.5 days each or 7 days out of 14 or whatever other equal split. So technically you’re both liable for CMS for 1 child only each if one wants it that way.

If the split of the non resident children was a true 50/50 neither of you would be classed as non resident parents.
  • jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not quite right Sambella as the issue of who is the parent with care is governed by who receives the child benefit.
    so if both parents receive child benefit for the child living with them then even if they have 50/50 shared care there could still be CMS cases open by either party, or both, and both Paying Parents would have to contribute based on their respective incomes.
  • HoneyNutLoop
    HoneyNutLoop Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sambella is in fact correct for a new CMS case. If both parents share equal day to day care (not just overnight care) and both equally bear financial responsibility then neither can be classed as a non resident parent. This is a significant and deliberate shift in law from CSA cases, where one parent must be determined as the non resident parent.
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BAFE wrote: »
    You expect another man to pay for your children?

Not at all, if I had it my way we wouldn't even be paying maintenance to each other.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HoneyNutLoop, you are correct in what you say.
    the problem in reality is that if both parents do not agree that there is 50/50 day to day care and the receiving parent gets child benefit then CMS will open a case and pursue the paying parent.
    it will be up to the paying parent to prove that there should not be a case.

this can be quite a complex issue -there have been court cases involving Durham Legal Services- as the government has not legally defined day to day care.
    as the governments position on child care is that this should be worked out between parents wherever possible in a case like this then without an agreement between the parties you get to the position where there are 2 cases open; which was never the intention
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure