Social Care vacancies requiring "paid experience"

Options
A little vent here!

I've been applying for bank staff positions in social care as an idea to supplement my income. I have 18 months voluntary experience so thought I would be okay, but I've had several rejections because a lot of places seem to require 6 months paid experience as a minimum.

It's very hard to get that experience is no-one is willing you give you a chance.

Feels like a kick in the teeth because part of volunteering is that it is a way to gain experience as well as doing some good in the community.

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    If you've been working voluntarily for 18 months, can't you get some paid work at the place you are volunteering?
  • brewthebear
    brewthebear Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bank staff implies experienced staff as you are going into a care enviroment and be expected to know what your doing.
    Volunteering is not the same,
  • brewthebear
    brewthebear Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another thing volunteers will never be allowed to do the proper work of a carer as there would be no h/s or insurance to cover you.
  • snowqueen555
    snowqueen555 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do understand to some degree, but It's a pain in the !!!!.

A classic case of I can't gain experience if no-one will offer me it.
  • fraserbooks
    fraserbooks Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    In the organisation where I worked before retirement bank staff received a higher hourly rate than permanent staff and were expected to be more experienced. Normally you had to work for six months and pass your probation and mandatory training before you could become a bank employee. Do you have valid food hygiene, first aid, manual handling and other certificates? I think your best bet would be to get a permanent position at an organisation where you want to work for six months and take it from there. It could be part time.
  • snowqueen555
    Options
    good point, why do bank get paid more? I had noticed this
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Options
    Temps usually get paid more, substitute teachers, locum doctors etc the work is more unpredictable. Usual trade off of pay vs stability.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • snowqueen555
    Options
    I thought I would update you all. After searching I have found some luck. DBS just went through for one position, I turned down work in another place (retirement home) because it looked a little depressing to work in.

If you look hard enough, maybe around 10% of places working in care will actually train you up, I suppose the other 90% don't really care to do that.

Considering the future demand for care staff will go through the roof, it is a shame most companies don't want to train people up.

-

Most bank staff get paid more because employers pay your holiday allowance on top as salary.
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    Temps usually get paid more, substitute teachers, locum doctors etc the work is more unpredictable. Usual trade off of pay vs stability.

Substitute teachers do not get more than contract teachers. At best they get the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure