PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Light bulbs

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Home bargains bulbs are reasonably priced , i prefer the cool white ones myself.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2018 at 9:25PM
    I know some of my lightbulbs are BC3, which are a pig to find .... but the rest are just "too hard" to work out what to get unless you set out on a specific mission, with one in your hand - and read up/study what you've got and what you want, then look at every one in the shop, repeating out loud to yourself what it is and comparing it to your folder of notes.... in short ... if they blow, I leave it.

It is far far far too hard.
  • midnight_express
    midnight_express Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    You can buy old fashioned bulbs on amazon.
  • pricew1970
    pricew1970 Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know some of my lightbulbs are BCS3, which are a pig to find .... but the rest are just "too hard" to work out what to get unless you set out on a specific mission, with one in your hand - and read up/study what you've got and what you want, then look at every one in the shop, repeating out loud to yourself what it is and comparing it to your folder of notes.... in short ... if they blow, I leave it.

It is far far far too hard.

Maybe try candles :o
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    try looking at Screwfix, they have a huge range, with some at very good prices.

For example for a 60w equiv. (usually 7>10W) warm white (2700k) Bayonet cap (BC)replacement, these are tried and tested here, and are £9 for a 5 pack (even my sheds got them...)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-bc-gls-led-light-bulb-806lm-9w-5-pack/5894t

To the OP .. just say what fitting (Bayonet, screw - large small), bulb shape (round, candle..) and "old money wattage" (60, 100 ..etc) you are looking for, and I'm sure we can find it for you.

I think its far easier to look online, as in my experince most shops, and DIY sheds, have a small range at higher prices
  • Dimpsey
    Dimpsey Posts: 3 Newbie
    Another vote for Screwfix! We went round the house doing an inventory of all light bulbs as they were driving us mad LOL. Now have printed out a spreadsheet for reference and bought some click and collect from Screwfix. Job done and no more staring inanely at lightbulbs in shops.
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Dimpsey wrote: »
    Another vote for Screwfix! We went round the house doing an inventory of all light bulbs as they were driving us mad LOL. Now have printed out a spreadsheet for reference and bought some click and collect from Screwfix. Job done and no more staring inanely at lightbulbs in shops.
    Nice job!
    Is it strange that I know off by heart eveny light fitting type in the house, and the type and wattage of every bulb.... is that odd?

But strangest to me is where the most evil bulb (i.e. highest Wattage) in my house is ...

... have a guess first, then drag over below to reveal the answer....

ANSWER - My most evil bulb is the 35W one in the Microwave that comes on when its running or the door is open. Its 3x more evil than any other bulb in the house.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Although I sympathise with the confusion, it's more the inflated prices that get to me.

I thought these new lights cost more because they were meant to last longer. I don't find they last any longer than the old standard light bulbs. The only ones that seem to go on for ever are those ugly, strange shaped bulbs that hang down.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2018 at 9:28PM
    Dimpsey wrote: »
    Another vote for Screwfix! ...
    They don't sell my type. I think I can only order mine online, at about £10/bulb + P&P (last time I looked/not bothered since!)

Just looked again as I DO HAVE to buy some now

£9.99 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NON-DIMMABLE-Energy-Saving-6000Hrs-Lifetime/dp/B076N5F41K

£10.94 at The Lightbulb Co
    https://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/15watt-gls-led-3pin-bc3-bayonet-cap-warm-white-equivalent-to-100watt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure