Statute Barred Debt Lowell (Part II)

Options
Started a new thread as the previous one has been locked. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5749838

Yes, they are that stupid, and have now sent me County Court Papers. Advice on how to contest claim, under Statute Barred legislation?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,925 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your defence is short and simple.

An action founded on tort shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.

No payment or written acknowledgment has been made to this account in over six years, therefore the claimants claim is denied under section 5 Limitations act 1980.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I think your last post said

Received a reply from Cohen and Cramer today (3 months later!) A weaseling letter saying if I don't come up with a settlement offer in 30 days they will commence legal proceedings. The Statement that accompanies the letter proves that I have not made a payment since 1/11/2011, and I have not made contact since.

Presumably the claim is dated around 1/4/2018. They are far too late.

Let's see what nonsense they come up with when you put in a defence.
  • GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Options
    Okay, this is probably part of the nonsense (but I'm panicking now).

I received a letter today from Lowell saying Notice of Pending County Court Judgment, they had not received any response, and threats of Baliffs etc. So I've logged onto moneyclaim, and they say they have received my Defence. Is this just a last ditched attempt to get me to cough up?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,925 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Okay, this is probably part of the nonsense (but I'm panicking now).

I received a letter today from Lowell saying Notice of Pending County Court Judgment, they had not received any response, and threats of Baliffs etc. So I've logged onto moneyclaim, and they say they have received my Defence. Is this just a last ditched attempt to get me to cough up?

Most likely yes.

The letter is intended to induce panic, it actually means nothing.

They have your defence, job done, stay calm.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    Okay, sanity has returned. Recieved a letter from the court saying they are serving my Defence on Lowell. The ball is now in their court.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello GothicStirling

Glad to hear you have had that confirmation from the court. Be prepared to take everything you hear/receive from the claimant with a healthy dose of scepticism.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Be prepared to take everything you hear/receive from the claimant with a healthy dose of scepticism.

Especially from Lowells!
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    Okay. Today I received Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track. Advice on how to proceed?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Small claims is correct for claims under 10k.

Just fill in the Directions questionnaire (if that's what you have) and send it back to the court (copy to claimant solicitor). You don't have to agree to mediation, though there is no harm in it. State your nearest court. Give any dates you are unavailable (I think the form says in the next 6 months). Sign the form
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    Okay, I've had a new letter from Lowell claiming that it is not statute barred. Their reasoning:

"Section 5 Limitations Act 1980.
    An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.
    The date the cause of action accrues, in this matter on the expiry of the fixed sum loan agreements.

The Facts

Date of Agreement Expiry of Agreement

16/6/2010 10/4/2013
    14/9/2011 14/9/2012

Is this correct?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts