Terminating an employee that has raised a grievance

Hi I was wondering if we had any HR people on here? I'm a manager in a small business and I report directly to the owner. A member of my team has recently submitted a grievance that she feels she is being discriminated against and treated less favourably than male colleagues. We are deeply sorry that she feels this way but now feel that there has been a breakdown in the relationship and that she would be better moving on to other employment.

I'm aware that raising a grievance on a protected characteristic means this is now a tricky process but can we still dismiss her? She's had less than 2 years service so is unable to claim unfair dismissal.

Comments

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Classy move.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    How about you just grow up instead?
    Employees can have grievances without needing to sack them.
    Perhaps you should try and see it from another perspective.
    You want a company full of only men? It sounds like it.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • We need to ensure we run an efficient business.
  • No not at all, but I do think she's struggling to fit within the team. Our owner is a female.
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    How is she making the business run inefficiently?

Instead of trying to sack her, why not address the issue she has raised and try to help her integrate more?
  • Her complaint has made her seem like an outsider now to the rest of the team.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Most likely due to the way it has been (mis)handled by the sounds of things.
  • We were considering terminating her for underperforming as that way, we can say it's nothing to do with her grievance.

It's an awkward atmosphere now after her complaint. Noone hates her but people now feel they have to walk on eggshells around her. As she hasn't got the 2 years experience to qualify for unfair dismissal, we feel it's best to let her go now. We would give her a good reference so she can find a new role.
  • Her complaint was dealt with properly, it definitely wasn't mishandled.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is no two-year wait before someone acquires the right to be able to make a claim of unfair dismissal on the grounds of unlawful discrimination. But I expect you are aware of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure