Holiday pay + entitlement?

Hi I have a feeling this has probably been posted before but my problem is that the company I have been working for 6 years for has just told me I’m only entitled to 20 days holiday a year and I wondered what is the low and what can I say to my employer to prove they are wrong my current work days are

Work 5 days a week + 1 extra day making it 6 days per week night shifts

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Statutory minimum is 5.6 weeks capped at 28 days.

that can include contractual BH so if it 20+BH(8) then you have the statutory minimum as long as you get the BH off or a different day if you work any of them.

what were they giving you before ?
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they disagree about the total being 28 days, ask them why they think it is only 20. (The extra 8 days weren't in the original legislation - and is a UK addition, not in the European Directive on which the statutory entitlement was introduced.)
  • Yea we work bank holidays as well only days I get off are Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day and Sunday’s
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Ninjadanny wrote: »
    Yea we work bank holidays as well only days I get off are Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day and Sunday’s

Have you had any holidays in the six years that you have worked there, or are the above the only days that you have had off in that time?
  • Well I’ve had holidays in the past but never more than say 2 weeks out of a year
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If you've never had more than 2 weeks off in a year then your entitlement most likely hasn't changed over the last 6 years - it's just that it's only now come to your attention as you previously never came close to using your whole allowance...

Are you able to carry over unused leave from last year to give yourself more time off this year?
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    20 days + bank holidays is legal.

The legal entitlement is 28 days. This includes bank holidays. You don't get bank holidays on top.
  • At our workplace whatever we don’t use we actually get paid for so it came to my attention because my boss said I only had 20 days overall and we had a long discussion about how many days I had off
  • Update: I!!!8217;ve since spoken to my boss and they refuse to take my word and said they will research it and get back to me and proceed to tell me their daughter only gets 20 days holiday per year and also have to work bank holidays so I told them she shud also discuss it with her boss then
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Ninjadanny wrote: »
    At our workplace whatever we don’t use we actually get paid for so it came to my attention because my boss said I only had 20 days overall and we had a long discussion about how many days I had off

They can only do that for any holiday OVER 28 days, te minimum you should be taking is 20, legislation allows carry over of the other 8 statutory days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure