PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

GROUND COFFEE: Is a storage tin that won't hold water (i) also not airtight? (ii) flavour-tight?

Options
2»

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Return this one for a refund. Why not get a tupperware type container? Or store ground coffee in the freezer?
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Searched for airtight coffee jars and came across this - not sure if that would be any good for your needs?
  • APennySaved
    APennySaved Posts: 215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 April 2018 at 6:51PM
    Options
    Well. THAT has decided me on - NOT - buying the actual Coffee Vault ! :

As I found this article after Googling:

The 5 Best Coffee Storage Containers of 2018 (How to Store Coffee) - Home Grounds
    (https://www.homegrounds.co/best-coffee-storage-containers/)
    [It's a handy article, BTW.]

where it says:
    "The Friis Coffee Vault: Best for people who use coffee quickly because the filter does not allow for a completely air-tight seal."

i.e. it won't be best for us as we don't use ground coffee fast enough.

So I'm not going to spend £30 on something that a 'cofficianado' (sorry, couldn't help that!) wouldn't recommend to keep coffee strong for a 'long' time! ;)

So shall keep on looking . . . ! :)
    APennySaved

Money, money, money . . . ! ;)

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
  • APennySaved
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips. I shall definitely look into the Costco tin at some time: I shall look forward to having a load of 1.3kg of coffee avaiilable in the house! ;)
    BookWorm wrote: »
    Searched for airtight coffee jars and came across this - not sure if that would be any good for your needs?

Thanks BookWorm - this sounds great! And as it's far less £ at Amazon - at the mo?! - than at eBay (where I also checked the £!) it will be welcome for that reason too.

I had a look at our local large Sainsburys at the weekend, for the Costa Coffee tin, intending to buy that item, but though they had the Costa Coffee packets, I was surprised to find there were none of the red-tin-with-coffee.

But that might have been karma!, as I only then noticed that the Costa Coffee red tin (I started searching for it online, to buy there) only holds 250g; & though that would do if necessary, I'd rather have a larger canister if poss. :)

As the Easehold canister is hopefully airtight ;) as it is moulded from 1 piece of tin I think I'll give it a go! At only £14 it's far less £ than any of the other purpose-made coffee canisters. Plus it's got a handy magnetised scoop stored inside the lid that ideally will never get lost - as ours currently does! - at the bottom of the tin.

And if it doesn't work well for coffee strength, then I'll use it for something else like sugar!

:)
    APennySaved

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Let us know how it turns out :)
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips. I shall definitely look into the Costco tin at some time: I shall look forward to having a load of 1.3kg of coffee avaiilable in the house! ;)

Is nice coffee too, took redundancy a couple of years ago and bought twenty or so tins to keep in the cellar. That was satisfying. pierced the bottom of an empty one and planted it with strawberries and a macrame hanger in the garden. It's held up for a while :)
  • APennySaved
    edited 20 April 2018 at 2:34AM
    Options
    Hi to BookWorm & all!

UPDATE!: Have now purchased & tried out the Easehold. And, unfortunately, it's not suitable. :-/

It's a great idea - but the base (let alone the top) has been designed as far too wide & only suitable for large hands!

I had to tilt the container to get any hold on it when I tried to open it, & that's not much use for a container of ground coffee! :eek:

Plus the thread on the twist-off lid is a bit weird so though airtight the lid doesn't work that smoothly.

The magnetised scoop is a super idea & a unique selling point. So if they remade it in a taller & slimmer design it would be great.

Never mind - had to give it a go! :) (And Amazon were fine re the return.)

Back to the research, then. In the meantime I shall resort to the suggestion of a clip on the shop bag & leave the bag in the tin! ;)
    APennySaved

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure