Options

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 October 2021 at 1:42PM
    Options
    wneil wrote: »
    Other research has highlighted that Guyton Klinger 'decision rules' is not always as good as it may first appear. The ERN website has a good analysis as part of a wider investigation into SWR
    That would be because they didn't really use the Guyton-Klinger rules but still wrote as if they were. I suggest using considerable caution with anything written there.

"The way we model the dynamic rule is a simplified (decluttered) version of Guyton-Klinger
    We discard GK's convoluted portfolio management rule. We have only two assets (stocks and bonds) and simply assume that the portfolio is rebalanced back to the target weights every month. ...
    If the 12-month trailing (real) return was negative, then forego the inflation adjustment, i.e., shrink the real withdrawal by the CPI-rate that month. If the 12-month trailing return was positive, then do the CPI-adjustment. We don't use the Guyton-Klinger 6% cap on the CPI-adjustment
    "

Guyton-Klinger doesn't have a 6% cap on inflation increases. Guyton (2004) did but Guyton-Klinger (2006) removed it. Getting confused between the two might help to explain some of their other mistakes. Wade Pfau explained two of the changes from G to GK:

"The modern version of their rules drops Guyton’s original inflation rule, which capped spending increases at 6% when inflation exceeded that amount. It also adjusted the withdrawal rule to prevent spending freezes when the current withdrawal rate falls below the initial withdrawal rate."

Unfortunately their decision to ignore important parts of the Guyton-Klinger rules is what causes the issues their version has later.

The GK withdrawal rule really says "Withdrawals increase from year to year in accordance with the inflation rule, except that there is no increase following a year where the portfolio's total return is negative and when that year's withdrawal rate would be greater than the initial withdrawal rate". They observed that the part after and "generates about 60% fewer freezes" than not including it.

Real GK also doesn't apply the inflation rule freezing when the capital preservation rule is used and GK observed that this "increased the purchasing power retained by more than 10% without reducing the probability of success".

So their modified version caused more skipping of inflation increases and lower income because of how they changed it.

They assert and presumably built into their modified rules the claim that "the 0.2 guardrail is on top of the drop in the portfolio. If the portfolio is down by 50% and you hit the lower guardrail, the drop in the withdrawal is (1-0.5)x(1-0.2)=0.4 = 60% under the initial withdrawal". If the guard rail is tripped because drawing has increased from 5% to 6% of the current portfolio the real GK rules say cut your nominal income by 10% that year. So if you were taking 10,000, after a 50% market drop you take 9,000. You don't need to be a maths genius to recognise that 9,000 is a lot more than 4,000. If the portfolio is still 50% down the next year you'd take another 10% cut, to 8,100... and potentially for more years if there's no recovery.

So again they modified the rules to take less income than the real rules.

----

They seem to even more greatly misunderstand Guyton-Klinger, wrongly asserting that it first takes income out of the highest returning part of the portfolio, equities. It really takes it from equities first only if they are up (and if up and rebalancing cuts equities the excess goes to cash) else first from cash, then bonds, and equities after that. Though there is a bull market rule that sets aside some cash for later use.

----

That ... post isn't good and should largely be ignored:

1. It falsely asserts that the 4% rule is doomed because it doesn't use the correct equity-bond mixture which the 4% rule is for. The real 4% rule investment mixture is OK, though definitely stressed.

2. No bonds, so it's either sell equities or hold cash. Should be some bonds in there both for rebalancing and to draw on when equities are down.

3. No bonds and US shares reduce the natural yield so the cash runs out faster.

4. No bonds so it presumably isn't using Guyton's sequence of returns risk taking approach, which further improved performance/success rate.

The result is a too high two year cash suggestion when one year or GK should be used. One year topped up by the natural yield will last longer than most downturns because the yield is likely to be around 3.5-4% for UK investors. Even using 3% and drawing 6%, one year is a couple of years worth before bonds get touched.
  • jamesd
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Little point in quoting the S&P unless as a UK investor you've a totally hedged currency position against the US $. As returns will be wildly different due to the fluctuating exchange rate.
    1. The correlations have been found to apply to every significant equity market, not just that one.
    2. US is typically about 55% of a global tracker.
    3. It's easy to find currency hedged global trackers, I'm using one at the moment.
    4. You seem to have completely missed the point: this research is about when a particular market is sufficiently far from its own price/earnings average to make adjustments. Currency is not a factor in that.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    Has it been back-tested throughout the history of the S&P? Not just 2000-2014? Would be interesting to see the results.

Looking at a 14 year time period alone does not prove anything and until i see much more extensive back-testing, this is all just a theory and potentially just nonsense.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 February 2018 at 11:03PM
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    2. US is typically about 55% of a global tracker.

Now it is. Your global tracker would once of had required a high Japanese weighting. The Nikkei far outperformed the US indices for decades. Japan was the place to be invested. Though ultimately collapased and has been in the doldrums for the past two decades. Anyone with hindsight can make perfect investment decisions. Likewise create models to substantiate their theories.

Chinese stocks are not currently reflected at their full weightings in global indices. As a consequence US weighting is arguably skewed.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,030 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Anyone with hindsight can make perfect investment decisions. Likewise create models to substantiate their theories.

This is what worries me about g-k, it is based on historic patterns that are treated as rules just because so far they have always held true.
    I think....
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2018 at 1:16AM
    Options
    Dont forget that PE10 currently includes (on an equal weighted basis) the huge earnings collapse of the 08-09 period. As we move forward, this period will roll off the PE10 and so by 2020 you will see a large increase in 10y earnings (and revenues) simply because you removed the 08-09 period (and assuming current revenues stay stagnant which looks unlikely given the good revenue growth we are seeing now).

This would mean you could still have historical average stock returns now till 2020 say, and the PE10 would fall (even more so if we see continued revenue growth like we are seeing now).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    This is what worries me about g-k, it is based on historic patterns that are treated as rules just because so far they have always held true.

Any SWR guidelines are based on historic patterns. The alternative way to model outcomes is Monte Carlo analysis which returns the full scope of historical data in thousands of random sequences. This can produce an even more conservative SWR, but whether this is of as much value as using actual historical sequences is open to question, because the reality is that although market returns may be a 'random walk' in the short term, asset correlations and movements have had broad patterns over the long term.
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    economic wrote: »
    Has it been back-tested throughout the history of the S&P? Not just 2000-2014? Would be interesting to see the results.

Looking at a 14 year time period alone does not prove anything and until i see much more extensive back-testing, this is all just a theory and potentially just nonsense.

That's because it IS all "nonsense" really......none of it can tell us what will happen over the next 30 years, all it really tells us is "this is the best guess based on what's happened in the past".....

If you model using the FTSE All Share Index over the last 30 yrs (assuming a 0.7% platform+fund charge), the SWR for portfolio depletion is over 8%......even the SWR for portfolio preservation (ie so the portfolio today is worth the same in real terms as it was 30 years ago) is over 6%......it would be great if this was repeated, though I suspect few would accept this today as a guide to the future (I certainly don't...;))

Having said all that, it's just about all we've got as a "guide"......

PS - I doubt anyone would just stick all their pension in a FTSE All Share tracker.....and that's where it all starts getting complicated very quickly....once you diversify across different assets/regions/currencies/inflation rates etc (as most of us do), it becomes extremely complex to model, and even if it could be done, it would still not account for asset sales/purchases along the way (I would wager that few pension portfolios will look the same in 30yrs as they do today)
  • jamesd
    edited 13 October 2020 at 8:14PM
    Options
    In another discussion VCTs came up and I thought knowing which I hold might be of interest to some.
    [VCT name		Value	price	shares	cost	gain%	gain£	incomePA	pays
    AADV Albion Dev		941.46	0.7100	1,326	0.5279	34%	241.46	53.04	£26.52 May & Sep
    AAEV Albion Enterprise	938.79	0.9150	1,026	0.6823	34%	238.75	51.30	£25.65 Feb & Aug
    AATG Albion Tech & Gen	819.03	0.6900	1,187	0.5897	17%	119.06	47.48	£11.87 Jan & Jun
    AAVC Albion VCT		28,415	0.6550	43,383	0.5002	31%	6715.69	2169.15	£1084.57 Jan & Jul
    CRWN Crown Place	893.75	0.2860	3,125	0.2240	28%	193.75	62.50	£31.25 Mar
    D4G Downing Four Gen	5,305	0.9000	5,895	0.7125	26%	1105.31	0	doesn't pay yet
    EDV Elderstreet		7,516	0.5450	13,791	0.4568	19%	1216.37	413.73	2xyear, nos not to hand
    KAY Kings Arms Yd	1,000	0.2000	5,000	0.1400	43%	300.00	50.00	£25 Oct

The income column is calculated based on announcements, the pays column is the most recent annual payments actually made. Gain is after taking the tax relief 30% discount and is capital only, doesn't include the dividends.

D4G and EDV buying was constrained by limited availability at the very end of the tax year of purchase, though I also wanted to diversify away from the Albion shares to reduce concentration risk.

For 2017/18 tax year I didn't buy VCTs. Instead I plan to buy EIS' in 2018/19 and apply that to the 2017/18 year, something permitted by EIS but not VCT or pension rules.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    Do you mean you will be doing it in 18/19 for 17/18, or can you apply it to 2 tax years ago?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport