It's not a lot, but it's enough

Comments

• jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi Speky

Just caught up with your diary... sounds like everything is going really well. I think its understandable you haven't saved an emergency fund yet, the big thing is that you actually have the money for upcoming events that's fantastic progress :)
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • Hey JVR,

Yeah I suppose that is a good thing which I often overlook. My own worst critic at times.

I've a busy weekend ahead in which my only un-expected spends are a boxing class (£5) and lunch with some friends on Saturday. Looking forward to a long lie!
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I always look forward to a lie in. This morning I was awake at 5am. Typical.
  • Jeeeeeso. Just realised it's been a while. On second thoughts, I've not much to report I suppose.

Financially, my immediate concern is the fact I'm due a new car in January. I currently pay absolutely peanuts for a relatively nice car, so I'm hoping for a good deal again. Although I now earn more than when I got my current car, my expenditures are much higher, so I'd like to keep my monthly cost to rise no more than £50.

Given the past 6 months have been expensive, I may have to borrow from the Bank of Mum for a deposit on said car. We'll see what happens.

Christmas is pretty much sorted. Couple of things to get, which I might do on my lunch break today actually and get them out of the way.

Nothing much else to say for now actually. Just ticking along nicely.
  • louby40
    Speky it’s good to tick along nicely. I have 12 months left to pay on my car and then I’m unsure what to do. I could just drive it until it really starts costing me money and then buy another one.

I need to dome more work on my house so that will probably what I’ll do, and put the extra loan money towards house stuff
  • Louby - There's always something, isn't there?! Feels like it's never ending at times.

Morning!

It's been a while. I was in Leeds for the weekend which was great. Bit too much to drink which left a physical hangover and a financial one too. Nothing I can't live with, and you only live once - although it felt like I was dying on Monday.

I've another night out, this time more civilised, on Saturday with my cousins. We're trying a new restaurant with a fixed menu for £25. By the time I add on drinks and a train, I'll be closer to £50. Was hoping it'd be a bit less.

Looking at my diary, December is actually looking pretty quiet as I'm working most weekends, so that's not too bad.

Waiting to see what pops up on Black Friday for some final bits and bobs of Xmas shopping too. Needing Thornton's to do something ideally.

Right. Must get on with my work.
  • Holy smokes it's been a while.

I've been rather busy actually with seeing friends and family and working. I've had a couple of nights out already this month (or since last payday) so I'm going to have to box clever going forward. Which is fine by me.

I used to have a sense of shame in telling my friends I was skint and couldn't go out for drinks or dinner or whatever. Instead, I would either make something up or, even worse, go and spend money I didn't have. However I found a relief in being honest and saying to my pals that I can't afford it. It disarms them and they can't peer pressure me into it. They understand I've got a mortgage and bills to pay on my own, not sharing costs with someone like they do.

I'm going to get my thinking cap on as to what my goals will be for 2018 as I've had a reasonably succesful 2017 on that front. I'll discuss this in more detail at the end of the month.

Anyway. A standard week for me this week plus working on Saturday, so that'll keep me behaving.
  • louby40
    Speky I think friends are quite understanding regarding nights out and lack of funds. I know my friends are great when I can’t always commit. Plus I’m a bit boring these days and aren’t bothered about going out much these days.
  • Ah Louby, I'm glad it's not just me that's going that way. Similarly, I'm content with a night in. In fact, I love a night in!

Speaking of which, tonight looks to be just that. Don't have much on the cards other than ironing and might manage some meal prep too.

Initial calculations looks like I'm in negative equity for my current car, which will impact the choice of my new car. Still got plenty of time to decide, plus the sales are coming up in a few weeks so I'll grab a bargain.

I helped put up my mums Christmas tree yesterday. That's when I know it's Christmas! Always get's me in the mood. We're going shopping for mine next week, a real tree I think. IKEA is my first stop as you get a £20 voucher with it!

Anyway, must get back to work.
  • Morning all,

I had a day off yesterday which I used to start wrapping some of my presents. I also wrote and delivered Christmas cards to my neighbours. My mum and I went hunting for an Xmas tree and we picked one from IKEA and made the most of the deal they offer in which you get a £20 voucher back,

I'm also due a new car. I've went over my expected millage, so I've a charge of £180 (which is much better than the £2,500 negative equity the garage claimed I would have). That'll come from my emergency fund which is quickly dwindling.

After much persuasion, my work are suggesting I might be due a bonus of £1,000. Sounds good but I think it should be nearer to £3,000. I don't anticipate that this will be resolved overnight and something which I constantly need to hound my manager on.

It's a cold one today in the office and so I need to get another coffee! Have a safe and warm week all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback