DWP Crisis loan

Options
Hello and please help

DWP have contacted me after 25 years saying I owe about £7. It was from a crisis loan I had in 1995. This has come out of the blue. For me there is a point of principle in settling this. So I have some questions
Does the 7 year no contact rule apply or is a crisis loan on they can chase until I die.
Can they send in debt collectors for a loan of £7

Is this all even correct, and why now after nearly 25 years

Thanks

Comments

• Yes, they can chase you for it your entire life and even deduct it from pension payments!

The IT system DWP use is ancient and they occasionally reconcile outstanding payments. I agree its a silly amount but they are obligated to collect it - its tax payers money, after all.

If you owe it, pay it.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Neil and welcome to the forum.

Whilst the 6-year (NB not 7 years) limitation period would apply to this debt, meaning no court action is possible, the DWP does potentially have other means of recovering such a sum which are not time-barred and do not require legal proceedings. These include clawing it back from any fresh benefit entitlement you receive, or alternatively a Direct Earnings Attachment to compel an employer to make a deduction from your wage.

It also doesn't rule out private debt collection companies contacting you on DWP's behalf, though they have no special legal powers in their own right.

I hope that information is useful.

Dennis
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, the joys of the DWP.

This will cost them more than the sum recovered to do this, but it doesn't mean they wont!

If they send the debts to a DCA, tell them it is statute barred and they'll send it back.

Then expect to see that £7 come out of your wages one month, because that's what they do!

Why it took them 22 years to do this, ask them!

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 November 2017 at 7:51PM
    Options
    Its a shame (at least as I understand it) the 'claim time period limit' does not apply both ways. As far as I'm aware I am still owed some money from about 5 years ago (a couple of hundred I calculate) but have not had any joy in trying to get it back yet.

I'm afraid as others have indicated they are likely to spend £100 to recover £10 simply on principle...
  • nomoneytoday
    Options
    If you owed it, it's only £7 so why not pay it?

The recovery costs have to be borne by everyone else, again for £7.
  • Lanzarote1938
    Options
    £7 would have bought a fair bit 22 years ago. See it as an interest free loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure