early 40s and not fabulous at all

Comments

• Hi Plush

I totally agree about the school photo and choir concert. They are what memories are made of and are priceless.

That's exactly the sort of expense that always seem to appear when you have no money. I imagine there are costs each month for school so you could give it its own YNAB category (my wild birds have their own bit in my budget).

Your SOA is going to be a work in progress for the first year or so. Have you got an allowance for replacing your passports?

The debt journey isn't easy and actually can be both time consuming and overwhelming. That's why I suggest having a list of self care things that make you feel a bit pampered.

I can understand why you want to consolidate you credit card debt into your mortgage when you remorgage to fund extending your lease. Most will say this is not advisable as you are making an unsecured loan into one secured on your flat. I can't advise you, sorry.

And that light at the end of the tunnel? You know it's there, don't you? November is a challenging time for everyone. There always seems to be too much to do in too little time.

Keep posting, enjoy the weekend
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • The generally accepted view is not to turn unsecured lending into secured by putting it on your mortgage. There are a lot of people who do it and end up with a larger mortgage and still have the credit cards and overdrafts a few years later having fooled themselves that they are debt free. It is just moving it to a more dangerous and because it will be paid over a longer period more expensive particularly in your case as the loans are on 0%.

Ultimately it is your choice obviously and £14k of credit card debt will take you a few years to clear depending on how much you are repaying each month. You would do well to extend the lease at some point though as you may find it difficult to sell when you come to do that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Plush
    Plush Posts: 95 Forumite
    @pauline thanks - yes I know there are school expenses each month on top of childcare and clubs. In Dec I plan to analyse spending from Oct - Dec and I should have a good idea how much it goes to that. Same goes for passports and pretty much anything else.

Regarding adding CC debts to the mortgage, I don't really want to do it, especially because it's still on 0%. However, I need to renew the lease on the flat before it drops to 85 years (if I don't, the lease extension costs skyrocket in the tens of thousands). I have a job now, and there is a way to do it - however Halifax won't lend me more because of the debt. Extending the lease costs about £7K at the moment, but it adds at least £15K to the flat value. So in that sense, it's a no brainer.

My plan is to shift the CC debt to the mortgage and borrow extra £7K, and make monthly overpayments. Just for the sake of the argument, this is how it would work:

current CC debt: £13K
    current mortgage balance £180K (this will be the value mid next year)
    current flat value: £400K, lease 92 years
    current mortgage repayments: £1000 (rounded up)
    current CC payments £300-400 (minimum is £300 or so)
    total: £1300-£1400 monthly

new CC debt: £0 (and I plan to cancel ALL credit cards).
    new mortgage balance: £200K (=£180K current mortgage +£13K cc debt+£7K lease)
    new flat value: £415K, lease 182 years
    new mortgage payments £900 (this is due to much lower interest rates)
    but, I plan to make monthly over-payments of at least £300, so new total: £1200 monthly*.

*This is less than I'm paying at the moment and also, IF I make monthly overpayments of £300 I will pay much less interest over the term of the mortgage, see scenario 3 https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/move-debts-to-mortgage

So, this all looks manageable and it only works IF:
    1. I make monthly over-payments as planned
    2. I cancel all credit cards
    3. I never do this again

By the time I remortgage (July 2018) I believe I will have a very good idea if I am disciplined enough and have the willpower to stop using credit cards, so my plan is to make a decision then. If I manage to stay away from the CC card and overdraft, the above plan might be a good idea. If not... well then my problems are much bigger than I thought and I might as well start clean, sell the flat, pay off the mortgage and buy in a different area...
    current credit debt Jan-2018 £12000 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
  • Plush
    PS. The other advantages, perhaps not so obvious... are more psychological/peace of mind. Yes I know the CC debt won't disappear, it will still be my debt. But, extending the lease will add value to the flat (so it's an investment that pays itself off and more) and at the same time I won't have £13K in CC debt hanging over my head. And overpaying the mortgage will build an over-payments cushion... if I ever find myself in a dire situation in the future I can take a payment holiday.

Last but not least, I don't have an emergency fund and I was thinking that I could look at building that as well, if I have to "only" pay £1200 to the new mortgage and I have no debt.

Perhaps my thinking is wrong, and I haven#t decided anything yet, but I have 6 months to consider this. Fix rate runs out end of July which means I could start looking at remortgage deals in May. (and by that time I will know how good/bad I am with managing to keep CCs in a drawer at home).
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Plush, I've just read through your diary. We're of similar age :)

The mortgage/loan calculation seems reasonable, but only if you actually stop using credit cards and using the overdraft. You have 6 months to train yourself :)

You've mentioned a few times that you will get a bonus at the end of the year; is it possible that in your mind you have spent this bonus several times already? For instance: 'I'll use it to pay off a credit card', 'I'll use it to pay off the overdraft', 'I'll use it to give myself a Christmas gift', 'I'll use it to buy dear child a Christmas gift', 'I'll use it to visit family'. It may make sense to completely disregard the bonus, to never take it into consideration and the moment it lands in your account, to make it the start of your emergency fund. Be very careful when assessing if something is an emergency. School photos come every year, some sort of school performance will also come every year, house maintenance ... well, things break down every 10 years or so, I believe the guideline is 2% of the house value should be spent on maintenance per year.

Good luck!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Plush
    @siebrie: thanks. Yes, that was my thinking to, regarding the emergency fund.

2% of the house value on maintenance :) wow that's a lot - probably that's not adjusted for London property prices, which are completely insane. I already pay £75 for service charges though, but those cover what's outside the flat. I'd probably have to budget another £75 for internal repairs and maintenance... will have a better idea in Dec.

And yes, the annual bonus is already spent, and not only in my mind! I'm getting the money in the Dec payroll. I'm not sure of the exact net amount, I only know the gross figure, but a lot of that bonus will go straight to CC payments. And obviously, it means no new debt because of Christmas. I'm planning the most frugal Christmas anyway...
  • Plush
    Just checking back in to say I'm still on track. I "made" some money as I returned some Decathlon ski gear I had bought in September (don't ask), they have a 365 days return policy for members. So at the moment I'm still in green, but I only have less than £50 left in my Halifax spending account - which should cover one week worth of groceries plus anything else. Pay day is on the 24th this month.

I would have more money, but I started a gym membership and the joining fee was £30. The monthly direct debit membership works out cheaper than paying for single yoga classes. It's £45 per month and there is no yearly commitment, they only need 15 days notice to end it. And the best of all, they have a promotion and it's free until 31 January, so the first payment comes out on the 1st of Feb. Also, the company I work for allows us to claim up to £150 each calendar year for "health and well-being" courses, including gym. I can claim that early next year, as I've already claimed this year's.

This weekend looks good, we're off to some friends' house for an early dinner on Sat, I will bake a cake and take a bottle of wine I already had at home. I'm hoping for good weather on Sunday so that we can go cycling in the local park - at the moment it looks like it will be cold but sunny.

Tonight's the first yoga session, I'm so excited to go back to yoga, no more whining on the sofa at home on Friday nights! I plan to go each Wednesday, but I can also go Friday evenings - whenever I'm not going out (and I haven't been going out much....). Won't be able to use the membership much outside of those 2 sessions, that's when DD is at her dad's. But, even if I go only once per week, it's still cheaper than paying for single yoga classes, which are over £11-13 in my area.
  • Hi Plush

It's good to hear you looking forward to something and yoga is great for building resilience and well-being.

If you are anything like me the period coming up to Christmas is always difficult. Lots of reasons for money to be flooding out of accounts as well as so much shopping based hype. I blame the Coca-Cola truck scenario where we are sold a version of the perfect Christmas - it will be perfect if we buy x, y and z. However much we can try not to be influenced, its hard not to feel as though we are failing.

I went cycling in Belgium in May. First time in 40 years and probably the last! I bet you aren't like that though. It's beautiful here today - a frost has left sparkles everywhere and the Sun is out. I intend a walk down to the library which will get me out.

Have a lovely weekend, take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Plush
    Thanks Pauline, Christmas for me is a good time - I normally recharge batteries, read, avoid shops and stay close to friends and family. I don't tend to spend and/or eat too much around Christmas, for some weird reason I'm able to keep bad habits in check around that time of the year. In any case, my annual work bonus will help me keep in green, but I really do hope to pay as much CC debt as I can with it, and not spend much of it.
  • Plush
    Hello. I'm quite busy, just a quick update. Happily back to yoga, it makes a huge difference. Managed to do an extra session on Sunday, as DD had a bday to go to. I've also managed to squeeze two 5k runs over the past week or so, and it's all helping with my mood.

On the negative side though... there were layoffs at my company yesterday. It shook me to the core. They let go about 5% of employees... one of them was part of our team. We have no idea if this was it, there was no announcement whatsoever, it's all rumours at this stage. There is an employee call tomorrow, we will know more then.

I'm thankful that I was not on the list, but at the same time scared as hell. I don't want to imagine what would happen if I lost my job today. I should not have let myself get here - to this level of debt - as a single parent.

!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family