Discharge certificate

Options
What is the quickest way to get a bankruptcy discharge certificate and whats the average time scale please

Many thanks

Comments

• philnicandevan
    Options
    mug098 wrote: »
    What is the quickest way to get a bankruptcy discharge certificate and whats the average time scale please

Many thanks

Either print off your entry from the insolvency site here (if your a recent discharge)

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/eiir/

Or
    Just send an email to [EMAIL="Discharge.Queries@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk"]Discharge.Queries@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL] and they'll send you a discharge letter as a pdf.
    give your full name address, dob, court number and NI number.

both these options would be free....if you require the official court discharge cert (most people dont tbh)
    it's around £75 and depends on how busy your court is really you'd have to ring and check with them.
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • mug098
    mug098 Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info, i needed the certificate, rang the cour, explained what i wanted, they said to email them my details etc then ring back after an hour to make a payment of £70, she said she will send me 3 coppies in todays post first class, cant be any fairer than that so im a happy bunny.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    oh shame if you had followed the link to the I.S it would have been free.
    Its always a good idea to print it off in the first 3 months post B.R before it disappears.
  • CMcl12
    CMcl12 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Letter from Insolvency Service (official receiver) would have sufficed and it's free. I've used my discharge notification to all lenders and it's been accepted - even a scanned and emailed copy.
  • mug098
    mug098 Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    Thats interesting then as i have the letter from the insolvency service but aparently that isnt solid enough to open a bank account, oh well at least i have the certificate so should be no more issues.
  • cancatsdance
    Options
    the email above no longer works
  • Tina_arena
    Tina_arena Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 22 April 2020 at 4:26PM
    Options
    I have literally just done this so here is the information
    Email address - discharge.queries@insolvency.gov.uk
    Online guidance:

Information about what happens when bankruptcy ends is available on 

GOV.UK: www.gov.uk/bankruptcy/when-bankruptcy-ends.

I heard back from them within an hour! 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 April 2020 at 1:36PM
    Options
    discharge.queries@insolvency.gov.uk

They also provided me with legal text when I was having problems with a mortgage application, confirming bankruptcy rules etc. - genuinely a lot more helpful than I expected (although they won't comment on specifics of individual cases, they will send a PDF of your discharge letter as that's system generated).

I've never known somebody to actually need a court certificate. I'd never pay for the certificate. If anyone says the letter isn't good enough, it's likely they don't know what they actually want. From working at multiple lenders, I can tell you it's very rare for front line staff to actually see BR discharge information, so some of them probably 'wing it'

If you say to them "oh I can get a formal certificate from the court", of course they're going to think 'oh, that sounds right... go and get that then'. Don't offer the court formal certificate as an option. Show your letter and (ideally) the printout from the insolvency register (saved as PDF, within 3 months of discharge) to confirm you're discharged.

Even applying for a mortgage, which is hundreds of thousands of pounds. I've seen a few applicants that have declared they were bankrupt 10 years ago or whatever (or the Solicitor has advised us of it), and we accept the standard IS letter.

If the bankruptcy is due to drop off your credit file soon, take a screenshot of your credit file where it shows discharge (some lenders will want proof it's satisfied well beyond the 6 years, that will help in addition to the letter). If your CRA was showing satisfied and it's only dropped off because of the 6 years, it's clear it's still satisfied even 10 years later.
  • Hoots
    Hoots Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I emailed   discharge.queries@insolvency.gov.uk on Sunday lunchtime and this morning before 10.30 I had it sitting in my inbox. No further questions or anything. Good luck with everything.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback