Advice on applying for a job a few weeks after starting another one

Options
Hi there,

I'm hoping to get some advice and opinions on the situation I'm in at the moment. I left a job (call it Job A) in customer service after 2 and a half years there at the start of September. I desperately needed a change, but I couldn't find much in a field I wanted to go into, so I ended up taking another (albeit better pay and conditions) customer service job (job B)

Now after 5 weeks in this new job, I've seen an ideal job that I would love and would stand me in good stead for a real career. I've applied and got a video interview and all seems good. However when I sent my CV in I didn't mention my recent few weeks at job B, it didn't seem worthwhile at the time, I have barely done anything there yet but scratch the surface. I just said I had left job A in September and left it at that.

My concern is, that because this new job is one of the major UK banks, they do rather vigorous background checks. From what I read, if I'm offered a job, I'll have to fill out a full employer history sheet. If I add my short time at Job B on this, will they look on it very unfavourably? Or will they look on me very unfavourably for not including it in my CV? Or am I just worrying over nothing?

Comments

• Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would include job B. As long as you're explaining your reason for wanting to move into job C well enough then it shouldn't be an issue.
  • EdinburghGuy51
    Options
    If I did include it what are the odds they would be unhappy with me for not including it in my CV?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hard to say - worse is you are unsuccessful at this time. Sorry to dive straight in.

Would you have a strong reasoning for leaving job of 2.5 years ? I ask as while I've been in same boat, similar situation (but definately not the same industry) the problem I had from even just a strong 9 months somewhere, was that the employer just automatically ended up regardless assuming I had been sacked from what they classed as 'ten a penny, easy to come by another' job. It came out during the interview they considered me as sacked from receiving a CV alone.
    I distinctly remember this one as CV submitted as unemployed, application form before interview with an emerging position. I would like to say I heard from the company but never did.
    So more then part of me agree's job B needs to come out. Either way think of it as both are possibly as bad as each other.

It's not easy pretending to be unemployed when you aren't for what it's worth - that might take some practise. I kind of done an experiment when I was under 4 week's employed. :o claiming you are out of work opens yourself up to all kinds of grief - can you start next day or within a week, speak to me at this specific time etc.

You might be ok with a stable background and strong reasoning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure