Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 15th Nov 16, 7:28 PM
    • 5,503 Posts
    • 7,714 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 15th Nov 16, 7:28 PM
    • 15th Nov 16, 7:28 PM
    It's a shame the article doesn't mention the fact that despite someone's salary being £50-£60k their adjusted net income, the figure used to calculate whether a household qualifies for child benefit, might be less. There could be people not claiming who don't realise their pension contribution mean it would be worth claiming.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • nightsky224
    • By nightsky224 16th Nov 16, 8:36 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    nightsky224
    • 16th Nov 16, 8:36 AM
    • 16th Nov 16, 8:36 AM
    I had not been claiming child benefit because of how much my partner earns. I'm not clear if its worth doing as I am currently working and paying NI
    Recently married and loving it x
    • molerat
    • By molerat 16th Nov 16, 9:02 AM
    • 21,561 Posts
    • 15,805 Thanks
    molerat
    • 16th Nov 16, 9:02 AM
    • 16th Nov 16, 9:02 AM
    I had not been claiming child benefit because of how much my partner earns. I'm not clear if its worth doing as I am currently working and paying NI
    Originally posted by nightsky224
    For you no but if a pre retirement age relative is looking after the children then maybe.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Mannna
    • By Mannna 16th Nov 16, 3:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mannna
    • 16th Nov 16, 3:57 PM
    • 16th Nov 16, 3:57 PM
    I had my first child in 2010 and my second in 2013. I opted out of the child benefit for my first child (I think in 2014) as it was getting confusing on my tax return. And then never opted in for my second child. Does this mean I am effected or not as I did originally claim for my first child?
    • King Of Fools
    • By King Of Fools 17th Nov 16, 2:26 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    King Of Fools
    • 17th Nov 16, 2:26 PM
    • 17th Nov 16, 2:26 PM
    I have never really understood why people do not continue to claim child benefit and then pay it back via tax if one earns too much. This does not cost any more but you have had the benefit of the money for up to two years before you have had to repay it so you might have earned some interest on savings or saved some interest on loans.
    Last edited by King Of Fools; 17-11-2016 at 2:28 PM.
    • wibbler
    • By wibbler 18th Nov 16, 1:00 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    wibbler
    • 18th Nov 16, 1:00 PM
    • 18th Nov 16, 1:00 PM
    I have a friend who earns over £50k, and whose wife earns between £30k and £35k. They have 1 child aged 14 months. I'm guessing they shouldn't be receiving child benefit? Is that right? And are they affected by this article's findings?
    Last edited by wibbler; 18-11-2016 at 2:01 PM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 18th Nov 16, 1:12 PM
    • 21,561 Posts
    • 15,805 Thanks
    molerat
    • 18th Nov 16, 1:12 PM
    • 18th Nov 16, 1:12 PM
    If both are paying NI through employment then this does not apply to either of them. It is if one of them is not working they need to apply for child benefit so that NI is credited to build up their SP entitlement. But if they have a pre SP age relative looking after the child then maybe they should apply so that the credits can be transferred to that relative.
    Last edited by molerat; 18-11-2016 at 1:14 PM.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 18th Nov 16, 6:51 PM
    • 5,503 Posts
    • 7,714 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 18th Nov 16, 6:51 PM
    • 18th Nov 16, 6:51 PM
    I have a friend who earns over £50k, and whose wife earns between £30k and £35k. They have 1 child aged 14 months. I'm guessing they shouldn't be receiving child benefit? Is that right? And are they affected by this article's findings?
    Originally posted by wibbler
    I think the child benefit only starts to be affected at £50k and any pension contributions, salary sacrifice schemes and gift aid would reduce this £50k to a lower adjusted net earnings figure. So it's likely they get full child benefit.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • ourproject
    • By ourproject 23rd Nov 16, 11:15 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ourproject
    Application form question - one parent or both?
    Hi,

Does each parent have to fill out the form in order for both parents to claim NI based on zero rate Child Benefit Claim or can one of the parent fill in one form and it sufficient for both parents to be 'registered'?

Hope that makes sense
    • molerat
    • By molerat 23rd Nov 16, 1:10 PM
    • 21,561 Posts
    • 15,805 Thanks
    molerat
    Only one parent can claim, usually the one who is not earning enough to pay NI to add to their pension entitlement. It follows that the other must be paying NI based on them earning in excess of £50K. If you wish to register purely so a relative to claim specified adult child care credits then it does not really matter who registers.
    • ourproject
    • By ourproject 23rd Nov 16, 1:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ourproject
    Thank you - I'm the one who is working and I filled out the form! I guess I'll need to send a new one in for my partner to do would they automatically work out from the form who needs the NI?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 23rd Nov 16, 2:47 PM
    • 21,561 Posts
    • 15,805 Thanks
    molerat
    A quick look through the form and instructions seems to show the person claiming the credits needs to be the one to fill in the form.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

2,619Users online

Martin's Twitter