PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Has anyone washed a Henry Hoover filter?

We got a Henry a few years ago and it is brilliant especially when doing loads of DIY. I am using it bagless for now due to brick dust and rubble etc.
However I really want to clean the filter properly. I take it outside and give it a good bang to get rid of the excess dust but I want to wash it. It does say 'Do not wash' but rather than replacing it I would like to give it a go first.
Also the brush has got a little caked up with dust and I need to clean that bit too.
Can anyone help please?
Once all the building work is done I will treat Henry to a new filter, but in the meantime...
Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
(he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
:D:D:D

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    rosie383 wrote: »
    We got a Henry a few years ago and it is brilliant especially when doing loads of DIY. I am using it bagless for now due to brick dust and rubble etc.
    However I really want to clean the filter properly. I take it outside and give it a good bang to get rid of the excess dust but I want to wash it. It does say 'Do not wash' but rather than replacing it I would like to give it a go first.
    Also the brush has got a little caked up with dust and I need to clean that bit too.
    Can anyone help please?
    Once all the building work is done I will treat Henry to a new filter, but in the meantime...

I tried washing the filter once. The dust turned to mud then solidified destroying the filter. Just replace it. It'll be fine as is until the building works are complete. I wouldn't use an expensive machine with so much brick dust though. The machine I used didn't like it, the motor overloaded and died. Try just sweeping with a broom as much as you can until the work is complete.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Good advice HappyMJ. I'm glad I asked. I will also stop making it work so hard from now. I think in my mind a Henry is pretty indestructible but I suppose there are limits for everything.
    I just had a look online and I can buy a new filter for around a fiver. For some reason I thought they were much more expensive.
    Do you think a new filter would make any difference to the suction? It's not sucking as much as it used to after the abuse I have been giving it.
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) If you're referring to the cloth filter across the circular bit, I have washed them from time to time on my own and other people's Henrys.

I remove all the dust which can be removed then paddle the filter gently in a sink of warm water with handwashing powder dissolved in it. The white filter will not come up snowy white but it will remove the worst of the dust. Then I rinse thoroughly and hang outside to air dry very thoroughly before reassembling the cleaner the next day.

Never had any problems doing this with several different Henrys all of which are pushing 20 years old. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • rosie383
    It is that bit which I was thinking about GQ. Mine seems to be stitched onto the plastic filter frame though in some way. Not sure that I would be able to wash it in that way.
    Mind you, what's the worst that can happen? If I need to buy another filter, it wouldn't do any harm to give this one a wash after I have got the new one. Then at least it will be there as a spare.
    Any idea how to clean the brush bit?
  • GreyQueen
    rosie383 wrote: »
    It is that bit which I was thinking about GQ. Mine seems to be stitched onto the plastic filter frame though in some way. Not sure that I would be able to wash it in that way.
    Mind you, what's the worst that can happen? If I need to buy another filter, it wouldn't do any harm to give this one a wash after I have got the new one. Then at least it will be there as a spare.
    Any idea how to clean the brush bit?
    :) Just paddle the whole thing up and down in the sinkful of sudsy water. It's surprising how much grot comes out.

I'd wash the brush in the same way - have washed the circular duster brush attachment like this many times. Just rinse out the soap and always allow to air dry without resting it on the bristles. Same as you'd wash the brush of a brush and dustpan set.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Emm-in-a-pickle Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have washed Henry filter just as GreyQueen described too, except I used liquid detergent (washing up liquid once, Stardrops thereafter. ) I think it all depends on doing it gently and loads of rinsing/rewashing/rinsing. Still works as good as new.
  • Dill
    Dill Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    Good thread, - my Henry vac is starting to smell a bit like old socks!! Something needs cleaning, but I'm, not sure what. I suspect it's the filter.
  • GreyQueen
    Dill wrote: »
    Good thread, - my Henry vac is starting to smell a bit like old socks!! Something needs cleaning, but I'm, not sure what. I suspect it's the filter.
    :) Every few years I wash the filter and put the bottom part of the drum (with hose detatched) into the sink and wash it with cream cleanser. It's just the plastic bit with the casters on. Dry and then allow to air dry before reassembly.

Makes Henry look like new. If you have a new bag, and wash the filter, there's nothing much else to make nasty niffs.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • rosie383
    Thanks for all the advice GQ. Seeing it is a lovely day today, I may give the place a quick hoover then wash it and get all the bits out in the sun to dry.
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    After washing my filter, I add a few drops of Zoflora or essentail oils to it. Smells like I've vacuumed and cleaned the place properly!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure