🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Interserve - Government Work Program

Options
I have had the misfortune of having to attend a Government work program that is run by the company "Interserve".

This company is suppose to help unemployed people find work placements and courses to attend. I have to attend every fortnight and failure to do so will result in my benefit being stopped.

I have been going to this work program (Interserve) for a year now, each time I attend which is every single fortnight I ask the same questions, "are there any job vacancies?" "are there any courses that i can attend?". And every single fortnight I get the same reply which is "No".

When i ask why there are no courses i am told there is not enough funding?
Yet this same company Interserve received several MILLION pounds bonus' from the Government last year ...but yet there are no funds available!?

This company Interserve also receive £400 for each individual person they get on to their work program.

It's pretty obvious who is benefiting out of this work program and it certainly isn't the unemployed!

I have had enough of wasting my time with these fools. I have put a number of complaints to the job centre and I continue to do so every fortnight and get the job centre to make a log of my complaint on the system, they also told me to write my complaint to head office of Interserve which I have done.
I have also been told that after exhausting all avenues I will have to take my complaint to a local MP as this is a Government program and only an MP has the authority to deal with this company.

I have also been told (off the record) that a lot of unemployed people are complaining about the company Interserve as is not beneficial to many, and was told that the more people who come forward to the Job Centre about this company the more likely it will be that something will have to be done about this company interserve. So if you are attending this scheme and are not happy please go to your local job centre and make a complaint!

Are any of you attending a work program that is run by Interserve?

If so are you happy with the help and support that you are getting from Interserve?

Comments

• AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    Not at Interserve but another provider and they have given me no help or no support and my 24 months is up in about 7 weeks
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ryan75
    ryan75 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Do as I do, each time you attend if you are not happy go to your local job centre and tell them your complaint and make sure that they log your complaint on to the system. I do it every single fortnight. Also get the address for your work programs head office and write a letter/email of complaint.
    AP007 wrote: »
    Not at Interserve but another provider and they have given me no help or no support and my 24 months is up in about 7 weeks
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    ryan75 wrote: »
    Do as I do, each time you attend if you are not happy go to your local job centre and tell them your complaint and make sure that they log your complaint on to the system. I do it every single fortnight. Also get the address for your work programs head office and write a letter/email of complaint.
    What has that got you? A job? Nothing I guess?

I have complained about a lot of things on the WP and you get nothing as a result - for sure the DWP do not care about it and why would they?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't ever rely on any sort of company such as this. I was once put on the FJF and that actually did some good however this was done through small recruitment companies (got a 6 month placement and moved on to a full time, permanent job in 4, shame i was made redundant after that). I've had friends who did a "bootstrap" course via one of these companies, said it was the biggest waste of time he's ever has to endure, actually spurred him on to up his job seeking and he got out of it in no time.

I wouldn't rely on them to help you get anything, so long as they are getting their cash, and their employees are getting paid, i'd imagine the vast majority don't really care; there are some gems out there though, when i moved back in with my parents a month or two ago after being made redundant (yet again), the local job centre (specifically my advisor, not so much her assistant) was incredibly helpful, although she admittedly said i really didn't need much help from her; but still, only time i've ever been able to say that.
    Professional Data Monkey

• ryan75
    Options
    The more complaints the DWP receive about this company the better! Or would you suggest keeping quiet do nothing and let these crooks get away with their criminal ways? what would that get you? A job? Nothing I guess?
    AP007 wrote: »
    What has that got you? A job? Nothing I guess?

I have complained about a lot of things on the WP and you get nothing as a result - for sure the DWP do not care about it and why would they?
  • ryan75
    edited 15 June 2013 at 10:45AM
    Options
    Thank you very much for that Morlock :)
  • imatt
    imatt Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ryan75 wrote: »
    I have had the misfortune of having to attend a Government work program that is run by the company "Interserve".

This company is suppose to help unemployed people find work placements and courses to attend. I have to attend every fortnight and failure to do so will result in my benefit being stopped.

I have been going to this work program (Interserve) for a year now, each time I attend which is every single fortnight I ask the same questions, "are there any job vacancies?" "are there any courses that i can attend?". And every single fortnight I get the same reply which is "No".

When i ask why there are no courses i am told there is not enough funding?
    Yet this same company Interserve received several MILLION pounds bonus' from the Government last year ...but yet there are no funds available!?

This company Interserve also receive £400 for each individual person they get on to their work program.

It's pretty obvious who is benefiting out of this work program and it certainly isn't the unemployed!

I have had enough of wasting my time with these fools. I have put a number of complaints to the job centre and I continue to do so every fortnight and get the job centre to make a log of my complaint on the system, they also told me to write my complaint to head office of Interserve which I have done.
    I have also been told that after exhausting all avenues I will have to take my complaint to a local MP as this is a Government program and only an MP has the authority to deal with this company.

I have also been told (off the record) that a lot of unemployed people are complaining about the company Interserve as is not beneficial to many, and was told that the more people who come forward to the Job Centre about this company the more likely it will be that something will have to be done about this company interserve. So if you are attending this scheme and are not happy please go to your local job centre and make a complaint!

Are any of you attending a work program that is run by Interserve?

If so are you happy with the help and support that you are getting from Interserve?

This shows how the English language is misused by many of those in power. Even though this is a PRIVATE company and you are referred to as a CUSTOMER, you cannot take your custom elsewhere, nor can you use a better option other than the failed WP.

Of course, as ryan75 suggests in his post, you were never a customer under the ND, FND and now the WP. Under a normal 'customer' to business relationship, one should not only be allowed to take his / her custom eslewhaere, but also have a direct point of call regarding complaints and customer service. If still dissatisfied, then the concept of choice kicks in. Obviously not so under the WP.

Interserve took over from a local Yorkshire provider called BEST (aka BEAST, WORST and Bullsxxt Every Single Time). BEST had an absolutely terrible reputation. Think of a scaled down A4e with even less spent per client.

I do know someone who attends Interserve. They do so simply due to being a former A4e client attending premises where Interserve have taken over from A4e's business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport