🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Its over!!

Options
124»

Comments

• busybumblebee
    busybumblebee Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations, that's fantastic news and such good timing before your holiday, you'll be able to enjoy it all the more! Enjoy your new debt free life x
    1% challenge - /100%
    NSD Jan 7/15
    Weight to lose - 6lb/29lb
    Learning from the past but focusing on the future :j
  • originalkat
    originalkat Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, it's a fantastic feeling and I remember walking up the road feeling the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders when I paid off every penny I owed!

I had been made redundant in 2011, no big pay off unfortunately but enough to spruce my house up so I could put it on the market. I needed to downsize as everyone in my house (extended family) had moved out over a few months leaving me with my large mortgage to pay on my own. Redundancy gave me the push I needed to go for it. I had enough left to buy a small flat without a mortgage when the sale went through, needs loads of work but who needs heating, hot water and a bathroom :) No, I'm not joking!

Just hit a snag though.

I did a routine check with equifax this week and a default for £285 came up that I don't recognise. It dates from 1999 and defaulted January 2012 with no other info. The company that now own the debt say they don't have any other details but the reference number they have makes them think it may be a barclaycard or an Egg card. If I owe it I will pay it but not unless I know what it is for and I have never seen it on a credit check before although I did have two Barclaycards one paid off in 2011 and the other one earlier using my bank charges refund (thank you Martin, love those templates :T). Wish me luck with this, it was well worth the £2 I paid to equifax to find this out, if I had been looking for a mortgage I would have been gutted to hear about it from a lender.

Good luck everyone.

p.s. I loved my house and take a different route to avoid seeing it with someone else living there but my head tells me that being proactive and selling it was the best thing I could have done. My heart wanted to hang on to the bitter end but If I had I would probably be living in a tent now:rotfl:
  • Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well Done. Hope you have a nice holiday.

Reading yet another successful outcome spurs on all those still battling on :)
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• beth3735
    beth3735 Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks all :)

Holiday was fab, and looking at booking next years, being debt free will mean that we can look at booking that bit better. Ideally my main wish would be to take the kids to Florida, but genuinely don't think its financially possible. So we are going to aim for Christmas day in Tenerife..

Just shows how having this huge weight lifted off you shoulders can free up all these other things you want to do. Just need to hold a tight leash on what I do spend my money on at the moment, as its burning a hole!!

Tried to set up premium bonds but its not letting me which is a bit frustrating, so going to set up a SO to a savings account and try to forget about the money.

Good luck to all those on their DF journey :)
  • prettyplease
    prettyplease Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Congrats on being debt free Beth :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts