PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing shop bought french sticks

Options
I was wondering as husband came back with one from sainsburys for a whole 10p. It was reduced from 99p so it was a nice one.

And said wonder if you can freeze them. Would have to be cut in half for us as we only have a fridge freezer.

I suppose I could get one for that price and just try it anyway.

Just thought I would ask you first as you seem to know everything (in a nice way that is)

Many thanks in advance.

Yours

Calley
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin

Comments

• LearningToSave.
    LearningToSave. Posts: 1,428 Forumite
    Options
    yes they do freeze!! my mum and dad regularly freeze half of one as they find a whole large one too much for one go....and its cheaper to buy one large than two small when they want.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    Don't see why not. I've frozen shop bought loaves before and they came out fine...never tried a french stick though.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I will pop in to sainsburys tonight to see if they have any reduced and I will have a go.

Not sure what I am going to wrap it in though as I don't have any bags big enough. Tin foil will have to do.

Many thanks.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • LearningToSave.
    LearningToSave. Posts: 1,428 Forumite
    Options
    i think my dad gets the largest food/freezer bags and cuts them into sizes that fit into the bags............not sure it would keep if only wrapped in foil etc as air could get in,maybe tight clingfilm would be ok?
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    They freeze very well. although when defrosted are never as nice as when fresh, so i always pop them into a hot oven for a few minutes to crisp up before using.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I often wrap one in cling wrap and freeze. They are not crusty once defrosted but you can revive them by poping into a warm oven for a few mins.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    calleyw wrote:

Not sure what I am going to wrap it in though as I don't have any bags big enough. Tin foil will have to do.

Foil would be ideal, because when I use them from frozen, I brush a little milk over the outside and wrap in foil, pop in the oven for a few minutes. Revives the bread, so it tastes as fresh as it ever did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure