Anyone Sacked And Deserved It?

Options
Hi All,

Anyone on here been sacked from a job and deserved it?

We often hear about people getting sacked who claim they didn't deserve it but it would be interesting to analyse this subject.

Comments

• Sycorax
    Sycorax Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I worked in HR for 25 odd years and I've never once found someone who thought they were justified in being dismissed. It didn't matter what they did, how incompetent they were, how diabolical their attendance or sick absence was, it didn't matter if they were abusive to colleagues or whatever, everyone was innocent and everyone was the victim of some management conspiracy.

In was like living in a poor remake of the Shawshank Redemption "you're gonna fit right in, everyone here is innocent".
    'I think that God, in creating Man, somewhat overestimated his ability'..Oscar Wilde
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    With hindsight I would say I deserved the sack, but not what I actually got sacked for if you see what I mean.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never been sacked, but I was the first to be let go once when there were staff redundancies. When I was a student I got a job in a restaurant, but I had a much higher rate of breakages than all the other staff. I even managed to tip a tray of hot fat all over the kitchen floor. Even now people look nervous if they see me carrying a hot drink!
  • brightonman123
    Options
    accumulated job stress / poor health because of it, one firm and me agreed to part ways.

I got more than expected in lieu of notice, though glad to be out of the place.
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • saintjammyswine
    Options
    The only time I was sacked looking back I deserved it. Didnt think so at the time, blamed everything but my own performance. Took a few years but it taught me a lesson for future jobs.
  • Wellery82
    Wellery82 Posts: 394 Forumite
    Options
    Sycorax wrote: »
    I worked in HR for 25 odd years and I've never once found someone who thought they were justified in being dismissed. It didn't matter what they did, how incompetent they were, how diabolical their attendance or sick absence was, it didn't matter if they were abusive to colleagues or whatever, everyone was innocent and everyone was the victim of some management conspiracy.

In was like living in a poor remake of the Shawshank Redemption "you're gonna fit right in, everyone here is innocent".

This is so true. However clear cut a case may seem to be, it doesn't mean that people won't challenge it. Often it is just because people know they can take a company to tribunal and may be offered a few pounds as it is cheaper for the company to do that than to proceed to court.

Increasingly i see a depressing trend when people know they are going to be sacked, whereby they go off with stress, raise a grievance for harrassment against the manager who is disciplining them, and look to get some money out of it.
  • Uncertain
    Uncertain Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    Options
    Jimavfc82 wrote: »

Increasingly i see a depressing trend when people know they are going to be sacked, whereby they go off with stress, raise a grievance for harrassment against the manager who is disciplining them, and look to get some money out of it.

Ever considered that the manager was harassing them, that is why they were off with stress and that they are fully entitled to compensation for the disgraceful way the firm has treated them?
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sycorax wrote: »

This is very true! I know a chap who called his manageress a "f***ing c**t" in front of colleagues and customers (it was in a bank). He genuinely couldn't understand why he had been sacked.... :(
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest the time I was sacked I deserved it, I made a mistake (an honest mistake) while that mistake was magnified by the actions of a senior party in the matter it doesn't excuse the fact. I said I'd counted something when I hadn't - that's absolutely a sackable offense and that's exactly what I'd done, no arguments.

On the other hand not being given leave to appeal nor ever being given written confirmation of the action from the company despite it being in both contract & staff handbook... No that's NOT good!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • Sycorax
    Sycorax Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Uncertain wrote: »
    Ever considered that the manager was harassing them, that is why they were off with stress and that they are fully entitled to compensation for the disgraceful way the firm has treated them?

QED....everyone is innocent and it's always 'the management'. Ever consider it's a ploy by an employee who sees the writing on the wall? That's just a valid as some maniacal manager and in my experience far more likely..
    'I think that God, in creating Man, somewhat overestimated his ability'..Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure